Part 24 Fate

Entering the dining hall after Oma, I was immediately hit by the strong smell of herbs and spices that had me scrunch up my nose. I had never liked herbal smells, as they reminded me of my uncle by marriage who wore deodorant with that smell and was always drunk.

My thoughts are distracted when Oma stepped to the side to reveal the man who sat beside a very bored looking Valentino.

The man's hair was blonde like mine, his eyes a glittering brown in the candlelight. He was handsome, but not in a sexy way, more like a sophisticated and powerful way. The way he sat was intimidating, making my skin crawl.

Valentino's attention instantly perked when I entered. Both men watched as I made my over to the table and as I took a seat on Valentino's right. I cleared my throat, hoping it would rid of them, but it only made Val raise and eyebrow and the sorcerer smile.

Deciding to just ignore them, I reached out for the first dish that just so happened to be steak. I grimaced, shutting the lid before going to the next filled with noodles.

"How very interesting." The sorcerer commented.

I looked up, however said nothing, as I began to eat my noodles. The silence became suffocating, unbearably so. The feeling of being watched was extremely uncomfortable and strange. I felt like standing up and now and running.

"She hates eating innocent creatures, yet she is betrothed to you, Your Majesty."

Hearing the words Your Majesty was strange, especially when addressing Valentino. When I saw him, my thoughts were a mix of that day on the river as he held me, to the night in the dungeon where I thought he might just snap and kill me. As unpredictable as always.

Valentino finally spoke, making my shoulders relax. "Natalie is much more than what she eats, Koen. You should know this, as you seem to have her all figured out."

I paused, mid chew.

Koen shrugged, lazily leaning back in his chair. I noticed that neither men ate. "I spoke of a vision I had once in the night. I am certain that that hardly compares to the visions your tribes leaders have been getting ever since your leaving all those years ago."

I could have sworn something flashed in Valentino's eyes, whether it be from memory or anger.

Koen continued. "The vision was only of a young and beautiful girl- human girl, that stood by your side on the throne. The vision did not show me anything else."

Valentino seemed happy by this, when on the other hand I was beginning to feel sick. I hated that everyone seemed to know my fate when I was still trying to figure everything out. It was frustrating and getting on my nerves.

"Although," Koen said, his face changing to a look of unease. "The vision did show me one other thing."

Valentino's eyes narrowed at the sorcerer, whilst I was practically on the edge of my seat. It was clear that the two men had not discussed this second part of the message, meaning it was either important or bad news. I felt my stomach churn.

"In the vision your bride was rather...different." Koen said slowly.

"Different how?" Valentino demanded impatiently.

Koen swallowed, and the next words had me feeling like I was going to faint. "She bares a child, which can only mean-"

"She's been changed." Valentino finished, his face paler than usual. His hands began to tap on the table. From nerves or something else?

I looked between the two men, my heart thrashing in my chest. "A baby?" I practically screeched. "But I've never-" I cut myself short, blood rushing to my cheeks from embarrassment.

I did not miss the way Valentino's eyes went slightly darker, whilst his face was still a look of shock. "And you are sure?"

Koen nodded. "Two heart beats, and a very hard to miss swollen stomach. Your bride is most definitely carrying a child in the future. It is inevitable."

"Who's is it?" I found myself saying, earning a very unimpressed look from Valentino. The truth daunted on me and I found myself unable to look Valentino in the eyes. Doing that with him...

"The child will be the next heir, that is all I know." Koen explained, raising in his seat. "And as much as I have enjoyed your hospitality, Your Majesty, my tribe and I must leave in haste, lest we catch the next storm."

Valentino said nothing, staring down at my hands that nervously tapped on the table. My head swam with thoughts. I couldn't believe I was being told this. I couldn't even go near Valentino, lest conceive a child with him. The thought made me feel all sorts of things.

"You should go and rest." Valentino said softly, ten minuets after Koen had left. "You have learned much today."

I can't help myself from saying, "Koen is wrong."

Valentino laughed bitterly. "Koen is never wrong." Raising his eyes to mine, I was shocked to see sorrow in them. "You will become a vampire and bare my child."

I abruptly stood, my whole body shaking. "Fate can change. I will make sure that it changes."

I flinched when a look of pain crossed Valentino's face before it was wiped away, replaced with a look of total blankness. "Go and rest." He repeated. "I'll tell Lena what happened. She'll help you get ready."

I watched, tears threatening to spill, as Valentino slowly rose from his chair and walked towards me. My breath caught when he pressed his lips to my forehead in a feather kiss, so light I almost didn't feel it. "Natalie." Was the only thing he said, as if testing the name on his tongue. With that, he pulled away and left me standing alone, my legs threatening to crumble beneath me.

One thing was for certain, no matter what happened, I would make sure I went no where near Valentino. But as I thought this, something told me that I wouldn't have a choice.