Part 40 Pointless

Two weeks.

It had been two weeks of endless vomiting, headaches and sleep. In my illness, I was unable to do much more than that. Gina would occasionally come in with food and water that I only took because of the baby.

The baby that was growing by the second.

My pregnant stomach was visible now, something it hadn't been a few days before. The fact that this baby was growing so quickly scared me to no end. I could feel them. Developing and changing until they'd finally be ready.

I didn't like to think of my child as some sort of experiment, but it was certainly feeling that way.

One night, as I lay chained to my bed, I realised how utterly useless I was. There was nothing preventing this baby from being born, and because of its differences, the birth would most certainly kill my already weakened body.

This made my stomach churn, causing me to throw up over the bed. As I heaved for breath, the acid taste that coated my tongue and throat having become a daily routine, I heard the bedroom door open.

I didn't bother to look up. I stopped talking after the second day, deeming it useless and energy wasting. Gina attempted talking to me, but I was mute, refusing to give her that along with everything else they had taken.

Instead, I closed my eyes, willing for the silence to swallow me hole.

"Natalie."

I remained with my eyes closed, my head beginning to pound with the sudden intrusion of noise.

"Natalie it's me, Samira."

My eye flew open, my heart leaping to my throat. Was I dreaming? After everything, was I beginning to hallucinate?

But no, the beautiful white haired, green eyed, magical being who had once helped me was stood at the foot of the bed, her hands clenched into such tight fists I wondered how her fingers hadn't snapped.

Too exhausted to move, I instead began to smile like a crazed woman. "You came."

Samira gave me a sad smile. "Of course. Marla and Koen are waiting outside. Are you ready to leave?"

I frowned. "What about Elba and Gina?"

Samira's eyes darkened at the mention of their names. "I'm guessing they went to go to wherever the ancient ones are keeping Valentino."

My stomach knotted at this.

Samira looked as though she might cry. "I've never met Valentino before, but seeing his feelings for you, I wish I had."

My frown deepened.

Samira shook her head. "I'll explain later. Now, come on. We've waited long enough to know they won't be returning for a while. But we can never be certain. Especially with the ancient ones able to watch our every move. They'll alert them of your escape soon."

I shivered then was hit by a sudden realisation. "I-I'm too weak."

And indeed I was. This pregnancy was taking hold of my human body. I had certainly become weaker, my body had become much thinner, hardly any meat to be seen on the bones that felt ready to snap at any given moment. I hated to think what my face looked like. I hated to think what Valentino's reaction would be if he saw.

Valentino. As the days dragged on, I felt my bond to him began to loosen. Not snap exactly, but it definitely wasn't as strong as it once was. It was because we were apart, I knew. Because the bastard ancient ones had taken him from me.

Through my anger, I hadn't even heard Samira say she'd be right back until she'd left the room. I looked down at my raw wrists. Elba had said that it would be safe enough to unchain my hands, but keep my feet bound. As if I'd do anything. Elba was now a vampire and Gina... Well, Gina wasn't exactly in the right state of mind to be messing with.

So I waited patiently until Samira returned, this time with two other familiar people.

"Hello, Natalie." Koen greeted with a wide smile, looking genuinely happy to see me. Or to see me alive.

His eyes fell onto my body and the roundness of my stomach. Something like pain flashed in his eyes and he looked away to Marla who was...Who was crying?

"Say one word and I shove snow down all of your throats." She snapped and Koen chuckled.

I gave her a weak smile. "Long time no see."

She wiped the tears from her eyes, her usual fierce expression back in place on her beautiful face. "Indeed. Looks like you've been pretty busy, friend."

I attempted a shrug, despite being weak. "Suppose so."

Marla grinned. "Let's get you out of here then, shall we?"

To known that they had all come to save me, to save my child, made my heart warm. I had believed to be alone, having forgot of the friends I had made along the way. I finally bothered to think about Lena- what a terrible person I was -and whether she had made it back to the tribe or not. I would think to ask Marla a little while later.

As I had been tied up, I had allowed my mind to wander back to my parents and how they were feeling. I hoped they didn't miss me too much, and that they were able to move on with their lives. Easier said than done, I knew. But the chances of me seeing them again was one in a million.

Koen came around to my side as Samira used her magic to break the chains away from my feet. He picked me up into a bridal position, my sweater pulling up to reveal the full growth of my stomach. It was even bigger than the last time I checked.

"Come on, we need to get to the tribe before sunrise." Marla said, producing a short throwing dagger from her side. I had almost forgotten she was a huntress, made to protect beings like Samira and Koen, and in this case, me.

We rushed through the house, no time to waste, the constant jumping making me want to hurl again. As the four of us were about walk through the front door, we were stopped by a sudden voice that had the hairs along my arms stand to attention.

"Running is pointless, children. Believe me, I've tried."

And I jut knew, by the sudden kicking of the baby in my stomach, that the voice belonged to not just anyone.

It belonged to an ancient one.

Don don don... Who else loves Marla and Nat's friendship? I sure as hell do 😄 what do you guys think the ancient ones will look like? I'm interested to know...