Part 26 Anger

That morning, as Lena got me dressed, all I could think about was what Koen had told me in the dungeon. His warning to not only me, but my unborn child.

Valentino's unborn child.

The thought made me shiver. I was unable to explain how I felt about Valentino, but I sure as hell knew that I didn't want his baby. Let alone spend an entire lifetime with him. Or a century of lifetimes.

He was too cold, I reminded myself. No warmth in that frozen heart of his.

Not exactly husband material, was it?

Lena allowed my silence, saying nothing as she brushed through my now dry hair, humming softly.

I was on edge, that was for sure, my jaw clenched and my fingers tapping on the vanity table. I was having a inner battle over whether I should tell Valentino or not. In the end, it was his unborn child we were talking about.

Unborn child. I was acting as if this child was a real thing, when in reality it was just a possibility in the future. And if I could help it, it wouldn't be a possibility at all.

Lena dressed me in a simple blue gown, tying my hair up into a braid before we made our way down to the dining hall for breakfast.

Valentino was seated at the head of the table, as usual. He didn't even look at me as I entered, walking towards my seat.

I sat and ate in silence, figuring that if Valentino wouldn't make the efforts to speak neither would I. It was better this way anyway.

Once I had finished with my toast, Valentino abruptly stood, causing me to jump in my seat.

"I want to show you something." He announced so unexpectedly I could do nothing but sit and stare at him. Putting out his arm, I snapped out of my frozen state, and too exhausted from a sleepless night to argue, took it without argument.

I was hardly paying attention to the world around me as he escorted me out of the dinning hall. The only thing that was on my mind was that damn child and what Koen had said.

Would I ever get a rest around here?

Only did I begin focusing on what was happening when Valentino stopped us outside of a shut door. A raised an eyebrow at him in silent question. He said nothing, only pushed the door open and motioned that I should step inside.

Bracing myself for something out of the ordinary or deadly, I did as told. Only, it was neither of those things I saw as I stepped inside, but much worse.

I knew with absolute despair that Valentino had finally found my one true weakness.

Row upon row of books lined the tall walls. Leaving no space for anything else but ancient text and literature. I gaped, unsure of what else to do as I beheld the biggest library I'd ever seen. That ever existed, I assumed.

"It's yours to come to whenever you like." Valentino said from where he stood in the doorway, observing me.

"I'll have to visit a lot if I want to read every book." I said. "There must be thousands..."

"Millions." Valentino corrected with a small smile. "You'll be glad to know there are many hidden in secret compartments."

My heart spiked at the thought. "It's-"

"Amazing, I know." Val said, stepping into the room. I ignored his presence as he took up the space beside me.

After ten very heavy seconds of silence I said, "Do you visit here often?"