Part 34 Decisions

I slept the rest of the day. Valentino had said that a snow storm had hit bad, and that he wasn't sure if his 'friend' was still alive. I didn't bother asking who his 'friend' was, as he was already in a pretty bad mood because of it.

I woke up later to find a pair of woollen grey leggings and a baggy white jumper at the foot of the bed which I quickly dressed into. Val had even left a pair of snow boots with a soft lining to keep my toes from freezing.

Entering the bathroom, I was ecstatic to find tooth paste which I applied with my finger. Washing my face, I felt much better, however my stomach protested, telling me I needed to eat something.

Leaving the guest bedroom, I found Val leaning against the living room doorway, his tense back facing me. I was about to go over to him when another voice stopped me.

"You should leave the choice to her, Val. In the end, it is her life. If she wants to sacrifice it for your child, then so be it."

By the way Val's body trembled I knew he was mad. "She is my wife, Elba. My mate. Like hell am I going to allow her to die."

"Even if it meant your child would live?" The woman, Elba, fired back. "You need to stop thinking with your heart, Val, but your mind. If you let your child die and wife live, the consequences will be grave. Many will die, all for your love for some human."

"Mate." Val growled. "My mate."

"She will die either way." Elba said coldly. "The ancient ones will rid of her once they discover you sacrificed the child. And then we'll be back to the beginning. They'll control you again and make you live in the misery of her memory until the next human comes along."

I tried to remain silent, I really did, but with my heartbeat picking up at an alarming pace, Valentino heard and turned. His golden eyes were burning with anger and defeat, making me want to run into his arms and sooth him.

But I remained where I stood, wanting but not wanting to see the mysterious Elba. Her words rang true, I would die either way. So was there really a question as to what to do?

Val seemed to realise my thoughts as his whole face suddenly darkened. "Stop it, Natalie."

"Why?" I snapped. "I'll either die giving our child a chance, or by the hands of the ancient ones. I can tell you now I know which would make me suffer more."

Val shook his head once. "It doesn't matter because you aren't dying."

I threw my hands up into the air. "Stop lying to yourself!" I yelled, suddenly mad. Mad at this situation, mad at the ancient ones, mad at this world. "I'd rather die knowing it was for something that mattered than something selfish."

"You think our love is selfish?" Val spat.

"If it leads to the death of our child, then yes." I spat back. "It's my decision, Val."

"Don't speak her words!" Val roared and I was smart enough to be scared. His fangs were on full display now from where his top lip pulled back in a snarl. "You are my wife, my mate, and only I will decide what happens to you!"

My hands unconsciously went to my stomach. "And what about our child?"

Val's mask seemed to crack in half. His shoulders sagged, his head drooping. "I want this baby." He whispered. "But I want it with you."