Part 38 Desperation

Gina's eyes became impossibly wide as I stumbled back from the sofa, falling straight onto my butt with a soft thud. Gina grinned as she jumped from the sofa and ran to the window before ripping the curtains apart and revealing the bright moon.

"It worked." She breathed, looking like a child eyeing candy. "I have finally paid for my sins."

My heart sunk to my stomach at her words, and on shaky legs I stood and slowly began to make my way to the door. I needed to find Valentino. Whatever was happening was not good.

My back to Gina, I had almost made it to the door when I felt a jerk in my lower stomach. A second later, two hands as cold as ice wrapped around my arm and tugged me back with such force it dislocated.

I screamed, pain flaring down my arm like a traveling flame. The baby jerked again, as if warning me of the danger. But the pain was too strong, and I was only human in this situation, Valentino no where to be seen. And Gina...well, she was a human that had something  certainly change in her.

Gina spun me around so that we were face to face. I gasped as she took hold of my hanging arm and squeezed, her brown eyes so wide the colour was swallowed up by the white.
"He's gone now, there is no point in running." She laughed out.

I struggled against her hold. "Valentino!" I screamed. "VALENTINO!"

But my mate wasn't coming. I knew by the look in Gina's face and by the baby's movements. The reality of the situation hit me like a knife to the heart. He was gone because the ancient ones had taken him.

Before I could even blink, Gina had a knife to my throat. "Scream again, and this knife will be the next thing you feel. I may not be able to kill you yet, but I can certainly hurt you, understand?"

Crazy. She was beyond mad. But instead of fighting, I allowed the woman to lead me to the bedroom where Valentino and I had once made love, had once been happy and safe.

Oh, how things had changed.

Gina pushed me down onto the bed so that my back was against the headboard, my arm barking in pain. Without saying anything, she bound my hands and feet to the bed with the ties used to hold the curtains back. I watched her, my mind puzzling over how I was going to get my child and I out of this alive.

"This was easier than I thought." Gina said giddily. "El will be proud."

At the mention of Elba, I clenched my jaw, a bitter taste on my tongue. She had said it herself that her and Valentino were practically siblings, yet she had betrayed him in the worst way possible. Now, he was a slave to the ancient ones and I a mere animal they would slaughter the moment they got what they wanted.

"You love El?" I asked, hoping that if I was kind to her, perhaps I could maybe change her fragile mind.

Gina nodded her head eagerly.  "My mother would tell me that loving women is wrong and nasty. But El loved me anyway."

Not the answer I had been expected. It would seem that the trauma lay far deeper than I had thought.

"Do you miss your mother?" I said gently, as if talking to a young child or frightened animal.

Something in Gina's face changed and she looked away. "Sometimes."

"I miss my mother." I told her, my voice breaking slightly. "I was taken like you were."

Gina's eyes snapped to mine. "I know." More sadly, "All because I ran away."

I shook my head. "You ran away because you were frightened. There is no need to be upset."