37. Damn You, Thomas Shelby

You're beautiful

You're beautiful

You're beautiful, it's true

I saw your face in a crowded place

And I don't know what to do

'Cause I'll never be with you

- You're Beautiful, by James Blunt

Everyone had left the shop by the time Kiara got home. She walked into the kitchen and found Tommy there as if he had been waiting... and he had. Kiara went to say a friendly hello with a smile, but stopped, noticing the look on his face.

"What?" Kiara asked, skipping right to it.

"I spoke to Arthur."

Kiara sighed, "I didn't even speak with Kimber..."

"No, I know." He shook his head. "He told me, that's not what we need to talk about. He tells me Grace has been asking questions."

"She's always asking questions. Gave up with asking me them now she's going to Arthur."

"She helps him when you're not there... with the paper work."

"I know." Kiara said her eyes narrowed the tiniest bit, not at all liking where this conversation was going.

"She's smart... well educated." Tommy said.

"Thomas." Kiara said firmly. "What the hell are you getting at?"

"She could be an asset." He finally said as Kiara face dropped.

A sarcastic and unbelieving smile came to her lips accompanied by a scoff as she shook her head. "Unbelievable."

"Kimber has Roberts... I need someone in our business to fill the same roll." Tommy stated.

"You can't be serious."

"She's clearly from the upper class, she'll fit in well at any big business meetings."

"I'm sure she will." Kiara said, her voice flat and icy cold.

"Kiara..." Tommy started in a warning tone, "This is getting ridiculous. She hasn't done anything and I need smart people. John's handling taking the bets, I'm not having Arthur in charge of numbers and you're going to be busy with the Garrison. I need other people and so far she's the only option."

"She wouldn't be if you looked harder."

"K, you need to let this go. If there was something going on between Grace and I then I wouldn't question this behaviour, but there's nothing." He began walking off, grabbing his hat that sat on the table as he did. "I'm going to The Garrison." He threw over his shoulder as he headed for the door

"I'm warning you, Thomas!" Kiara yelled after him. "I promise you'll regret this!" He stopped, his back to her for a moment before continuing on his way, slamming the door shut on his way out.

Tommy walked down the street in a fluster. He still found himself heading for the Garrison, despite his wife's words. He didn't like being told what to do any more than she did. It was his business, he could do what he liked.

He waited outside, seeing the lights turn off inside the pub meaning Grace would soon come out, so he waited.

"Arthur tells me you've been asking questions." He said once she'd seen him. "About how we run our business and how we get out booze and where we keep it. Kiara wouldn't answer any of your questions so you thought you'd go to him, eh?"