32. Impossible

This is how I show my love

I made it in my mind because

- Sail, by AWOLNATION

"How long have you worked for Mr Kimber?" Kiara asked David Roberts as they drove.

They had been on the road for a while now and had exchanged idle chit chat for most of it.

"Since the beginning. We vaguely knew each other before thigns started and when he had the idea of going into the racing business he came to me."

"Well, he's not completely incompetent then." She stated as Roberts looked away from the road and over to her. "Why do you work for him?" She asked.

"What do you mean?"

"It's clear that you do most of the work... you don't really need him."

David smiled before turning back to face the road as he drove. "I do, but he pays me with more money than I know what to do with and he takes the enemies... if ever things go pear shaped, he'd take the fall, people would leave me be and I'd be free to move on to the next ambitious mind who thinks he should be a king."

Kiara smiled at his words. "You're even smarter than I thought... you lack what destroys most men."

"And what's that?"

"Too much pride. Most wouldn't find enough glory by being the middleman."

"And what of your husband? Does he have too much pride?"

"Yes." Kiara stated, glancing out her side of the car. "But he knows his strengths and weaknesses... and he knows how to use them. He doesn't do anything he's not sure of."

"And what of you?"

"What about me?" Kiara asked, continuing to look out the side of the car.

"Are you a strength or weakness?"

Kiara turned back to the accountant as he looked to her. "What do you think I am?" She asked curiously.

"I think you're both." He stated before turning his head back to the road and then continuing talking. "His refusal to allow Mr Kimber to take you back to his house shows weakness... his inability to control you as seen by you showing up today is another weakness." He threw a brief glance her way, sensing her curious eyes on him. "I'm good at reading people and situations." He explained. "However, your ability to blend in to a crowd like that as if you own the room and how easily you managed to manipulate Kimber into believing your sore leg story and dancing with that barmaid shows strength that Mr Shelby could use to his advantage."

Kiara smiled to herself, turning back to face out of the car to hide it, but Roberts still saw when he glanced back over to her. They were out of the country now and it was coming to the end of their journey as they drove down the streets of Birmingham.

"So where am I dropping you off?"

"The Garrison will be fine if you remember how to get there." She responded and he nodded.

"So," He began after a minute of silence, "am I right? Did you come today without your husbands blessing?"

"Yes, but I was ill... yesterday. I'm better today, he's just... he was being cautious. I don't like being told what to do." She stated.

"You left with me, didn't you? Instead of going to the dinner." He replied immediately. "You were following your husbands orders then."

"I try to make a point not to defy him in public or in a situation when it's clear that's what I'm doing. His business is important and I'd never compromise that. Besides... we both know that food isn't on that dinner menu."