33. Brave

'Cause I know my weakness, know my voice,

And I'll believe in grace and choice

And I know perhaps my heart is farce,

But I'll be born without a mask

- Babel, by Mumford & Sons

"Send my love to mum and Ailia." Kiara said as her and Riley approached the front door to hers and Tommy's house.

She still wore the same attire she had at the races, not having been home yet. When she went to leave the Garrison, Riley offered to walk her home. Tommy's car was parked out front, indicating he was back, but he hadn't stopped by the pub.

"Yeah, I will." Riley nodded before glancing up to the bedroom window above them. "He going to be mad?" Her brother asked.

"Probably, but he'll be over it by tomorrow."

"Mmm."

"It's alright, Riley... it's just Tommy." She said when she saw that protective glint in his eye over the thought of Tommy being angry.

"Yeah, okay." He nodded before she leant up and gave him a hug. "Night." She smiled.

"Night." He nodded back before being on his way as she walked inside.

She quietly made her way to the stairs and then began to make her way up to the bedroom. She opened the door and inside she saw her husband standing by the side table pouring a glass of whiskey and then another. He picked it up and held it out the side for her take without even looking her way.

She took a few slow steps over to, taking the glass from his hands before taking two steps back as he brought his up to his lips and swallowed it in one and then filled the glass up once again before finally turning to her. She hadn't touched her drink, already having enough at the Garrison for the time being and not thinking that more would this conversation.

Tommy stood there staring at her for a long while before his eyes drifted over her in her dress and make-up, her hair still neat.

"If you're not going to say anything than I'd like to go to bed." Kiara stated calmly after a long while.

Tommy took a few steps towards her, closing the distance between them that she had created when she took her steps backward. He stared down at her, not saying another word. Eventually Kiara sighed, stepping around him and finally drinking the whiskey Tommy had poured her in one swallow and then placed it down on the side table.

Tommy had kept his back to her when she walked past and now he looked down into his glass before raising it to his lips and swallowing it in one just like before.

"I didn't go through with it." He finally spoke.

"Through with what?" She asked, walking over to the dresser while taking out her earrings.

"Grace and Kimber. I was supposed to give him two hours, I only gave him one... barged in before anything could happen and told him she was a whore with the clap to stop it from going any further."

Kiara swallowed back a lump in her throat as she placed her earring down on the dressing table, keeping her back to her husband, but when he finally turned to face her he could still see her in the mirror.

"What are you thinking?" He asked.

"Why?" She whispered. "Why did you change your mind, Tommy?" Kiara asked finally turning back to face him.