3. Predictable Behaviour

Cause they will run you down, down till the dark

Yes and they will run you down, down till you fall

And they will run you down, down till you go

Yeah so you can't crawl no more

- Way Down We Go, by Kaleo

Kiara Donoghue lent her head back against the wall behind her where she sat in the private booth at the local pub; The Garrison. She had been sitting with her brother, Freddie, Tommy and John for hours. John was interested in what the other boys were chit chatting about, becoming more and more like them every day, but Kiara was bored out of her mind.

Her and John were now 15, the other boys 19. John was becoming one of them... a Peaky Blinder which meant less time with her. She now spent a lot of her free time with Ada Shelby who was a year older, but her and John still hung out in school... which was why she was there now.

"Quit complaining." Riley shot over to her. "If you and John weren't suspended for a week you'd be in class right now instead of with me. You got yourself into this."

"I didn't say anything." Kiara said back to her brother who had turned on her quite abruptly.

"You're sulking." He stated quite plainly seconds before her eyes went cold and Riley straightened his back a little preparing himself for whatever it was she was about to snap back with.

"First of all, I'd rather be here than in class... doesn't mean I enjoy either. Second... I'm only here because you insisted. I could be at home."

John and Kiara had been caught smoking behind one of the buildings. He had offered her one like he had done a couple times in the past and she had accepted, but of course this wasn't the story they told. To protect her friend from her brother's wrath she had embellished a little and said she had snatched a cigarette off John after he had refused to give her one and he had given up trying to grab it back off her before lighting another for himself. Some things hadn't changed since they were kids... John could always find her no matter where she was... but he could never catch her.

"You could engage in conversation. Might make this go by faster for you." Riley stated before his sister's cold glare turned on him again.

"All you lot talk about is woman, gambling, guns and fights. Between you three getting some," she gestured to Riley, Tommy and Freddie, "and him wanting it," she then nodded towards John who sunk back in his chair a little in embarrassment over the girl he had a crush on since before he could remember talking about him like this, "I'm better off staying silent and pretending I'm not here. Besides, seems to me there is always so much to be said by everyone else that my time is better spent listening and observing. Can't do that with a mouth full of words."

Thomas was the first to chuckle as he grabbed out a cigarette to light it. Riley only shook his head.

"Which bloody member of your family does she take after?" Freddie asked with a smile, knowing that attitude didn't come from her mother or father.

"I'm terrified that it might be my grandmother." Riley stated as Kiara rolled her eyes before getting to her feet. "Where are you going?" He asked.

"To get a glass of water. Would you like me to tie a leash around my neck before I leave so you can hold the other end?" She shot back. This time it was his turn to rolls his eyes and John's turn to chuckle. Riley waved her off, giving permission to continue on.

She left the private back room of the Garrison and walked up to the bar, asking Harry the owner for a glass of water. It was given to her quickly, but as she went to pick it up, she was stopped by a boy about her age, maybe a year older. She knew him as Donovan Keating. She had seen him at school, but not this year. Apparently he had dropped out having "better things to do."

He said hello, introduced himself, confirming who he was and started up a casual conversation in which she explained why she wasn't in school. He laughed at the story, but his smile dropped when he noticed four figures standing behind her. Kiara grit her teeth and turned slowly, knowing exactly who was behind her before she had even moved.

"Riley." She stated as a warning and that she was fine and that he could leave the boy in peace. Tommy, Freddie and John all stood behind him, John glaring the boy down, a toothpick twirling between his lips as his jaw clenched. Riley glared as well, in a way that caused Donovan to step back a few paces. Freddie and Tommy were just extra muscle for intimidation at their friends back.

"Please don't." Kiara said calmly, half a whisper in a voice that seemed quite tired and almost frustrated by this predictable behaviour.

They didn't listen. Or Riley and John didn't listen, Freddie and Tommy just stood back, not really needed to take down a 16-year-old boy.

It wasn't bad, just a black eye and a few bruised ribs. He was 16 so they weren't going to do too much damage. Riley gave him the black eye, knocking him back with one hit and then John went in for the kick. That was it. Donovan got up and ran while Kiara sighed, sipped her water and went back to the booth.