46. Tough

Every time he walks out the door

I wonder if he's ever coming back

I can't help but love the taste of danger baby

And the how and the when and the roughness baby

- Caught Out In The Rain, by Beth Hart

"Right." Tommy started as he looked out at everyone who had gathered in the betting shop after he had called a meeting early in the morning. He stood at the front of the room with everyone standing bellow him. Kiara stood the closest with John beside her and Esme next to him. Finn continued to move about the room, the youngest person there, the only child in fact, until Kiara grabbed his arm and he stopped, moving to stand still in front of her. "We've brought you all here today 'cause this is the day we replace Billy Kimber. This is the day we become respectable. The day we join the official National Association of Racecourse Bookmakers." Kiara found it funny... the things they had to do to work their way up and become respectable. "But, first, we do the dirty work. Now, you've all known this day's been coming, I just haven't told anyone the date." He looked about the room. The only people who had been giving a slight warning before the meeting about what this was about was Arthur, John and Polly. "We're going to the Worcester races. Track opens at 1, we get there at 2. Now, Kimber thinks we're going there to help him fight the Lee brothers... but thanks to the efforts of our John," He gestured to his brother, "and his lovely new wife, Esme... the Lees are now our kin. I interrupted those efforts this morning and, uh," everyone began to chuckle, "I can assure you all, John is making great sacrifices in the cause of peace." He joked.

"Yeah, alright." John rolled his eyes as they continued to chuckle at the newly weds.

"So it'll be us and the Lees against Kimber's boys. We take 'em out and leave the bookies. I'll expect a swift victory which will send a signal all the way to London that we believe in letting legitimate businesses run peacefully."

"And, uh... what about Kimber himself?" John asked.

"I'll deal with Kimber." Tommy nodded. "Any other questions?"

"Yes." Polly spoke up before making her way over to the doors that led into the house. "Does anyone object if I bring a newcomer to the meeting?" There were no objections as she moved to the door and opened it up. "I'd like to introduce the newest member of the Shelby clan."

Ada walked through the door holding her newborn son. How Polly convinced her to come out of hiding, let alone come back to the family, Kiara had no idea, but she was happy she did. There was a brief moment of unsure silence, mostly out of shock before Arthur started to clap which then spurred everyone else on to do the same.

"Welcome home, Ada." Tommy said happily relieved as his sister joined the group and the applause stopped.

"We named him Karl... after Karl Marx." She stated which caused a few chuckles.

"Karl bloody Marx." Arthur shook his head, unsurprised. "Let me get a look at him." He said, stepping forward to meet his nephew.

"Oh, here we go." John said, knowing what was coming as Arthur took the baby and held him up.

"He looks just like me, look." Arthur exclaimed. "He's a Shelby." He then stated as people gathered around.

Kiara walked over with a smile before Arthur handed the baby over to her. Tommy wondered over, resting a hand on her wife's back as he looked down to his nephew and Ada stepped over to them.