22. Complete Power, But Powerless

My babe would never fret none

About what my hands and my body done

If the Lord don't forgive me

I'd still have my baby and my babe would have me

When I was kissin' on my baby

And she put her love down soft and sweet

In the low lamp light I was free

Heaven and hell were words to me

- Work Song, by Hozier

"Can I get you a glass of water or something, mother?" Kiara asked as she guided her mother to her bed, letting her sit and then layback before pulling the covers up.

"No, I'm alright. It was nice having you here tonight. Next time you should bring Thomas with you." She said in a weak and fragile voice that had only been getting worse of late.

"We'll see. He's quite busy at the moment." Kiara said. "I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Night, darling." Nevina smiled lightly as her daughter left, closing the bedroom door.

"She's been getting worse." A now 18-year-old Ailia said quietly once Kiara had left their mothers room. "Riley brought the doctor around today. He thinks her immune system is failing. Has been for a while. If she gets sick..."

"Shh." Kiara hushed her sister as her words trailed off, her eyes beginning to water. Kiara stepped forward and brought Ailia in for a hug.

"He said there's not much he can do at this stage. It can only get better on it's own." She continued in quite sobs.

"We just have to keep her eating and drinking. Make sure she stays indoors to prevent from catching anything until she's feeling better, alright?" Ailia nodded. "Make sure to keep the curtains open, the sunlight might help." Kiara finished as she looked up to see her brother leaning in the doorway, having been listening to the conversation. "Alright." Kiara pulled back. "You should get to bed, it's getting late and I've got to head home."

"Okay. Night." Ailia gave her one last hug before heading towards her room.

"You know she's not getting better." Riley said to Kiara as she began to head into the kitchen to grab her coat, the same white fur one she had been wearing that day at the fair.

"I know. I just couldn't seem to tell Ailia that."

"Neither could I." Riley barely whispered

"Things were supposed to get better after dad died." Kiara stated.

"They were never going to for mum." He shook his head. "But you seem like you're doing alright."

"Did you here about what happened today?" Kiara asked him.

"The war? I heard." He nodded. "Not ideal."

"Not ideal? That's all have to say? They'll be fighting Uncle Bryan, Riley... You'll be fighting him."

"I know, but it's between the Lee's and the Shelby's. Tommy won't let anything happen to Bryan or Moira... They're Kenny's not Lee's."

"Collateral damage happens."

"I was thinking about going down to visit them at the camp, talk to Bryan and see if he's willing to stay out of it."

"They know you're a Peaky Blinder. You go down and the Lee's will kill you and they won't let Bryan sit out of any war if he wants to continue travelling with them."

"Yeah, I guess." Riley nodded.

"Say you won't go down there, Riley." Kiara insisted.

"I won't." He shook his head. "It was just an idea. Go on, you betting keep moving."

"I remember the days you wouldn't let me out of the house after dark." Kiara stated.

"I still don't let Ailia... but I trust that people would know better than to go near you, Mrs Shelby." He joked. "You've got Tommy now... you don't need a protective big brother anymore."

Kiara smiled before pulling him in for a hug. "I'll always need a protective big brother." She said back before finally leaving.

As she walked the darkened streets she continued to think about her husband and the war he'd started.

Kimber. Billy Kimber was the end game, not the Lee's; not the gypsies. He promised it would work out. Despite her remark about Lizzie Stark, Tommy hadn't broken any of his promises, not these kinds. She couldn't go on being mad at him forever, in fact her anger had already started to diffuse.

Thomas Shelby. The man had completely taken her over. She could get over anything so long as it meant he was on the other side. Thomas Shelby and his bright blue eyes that sometimes didn't even seem real. Those eyes that she'd forever find looking at her, taking every part of her in. Thomas Shelby and the way he stood with utter confidence, like he was born to rule the world. The casual way he smoked his cigarettes and drunk his whiskey. The way he placed a hand on her waist when he kissed her cheek. The way he'd wake up in the middle of the night, heart pounding, breath heaving and she'd run a hand through his hair and he'd simply fall back to sleep on her chest.

No she couldn't stay mad at him.

Kiara made it back to the house, walking through the living room to head to the stairs that led up to Tommy's room.

"He was sour all through dinner." Polly commented, taking a sip of the drink in her hand as Kiara turned to her. "This fight going to subside?"

"Think it already has." Kiara said softly.

"Good." Polly stated, taking another sip.

"Night, Poll." Kiara turned and then continued on to the bedroom.

She opened the door and stepped quietly inside, gently closing it behind her before turning and just looking at where her husband lay on the bed. He was looking back, holding his pipe that he hadn't yet smoked, examining her to see if she was still wanting to argue.

Kiara stepped forward until she stood at the edge of the bed, Tommy looking up at her, and then she reached down and took the pipe of opium from his hand, placing it down on the bed side table before climbing on to the bed, straddling Tommy's waist and then leaning down to kiss him.

He rested one hand on her hip and the other, gently behind her neck, kissing back before she pulled away, barely an inch from her lips.

"Bryan doesn't get hurt." She demanded in a whisper.

"Not a scratch." He whispered back, his heart pounding at the sight of her like this, her voice firm, but oh so quiet.

She had taken him over as much as he had her. Both had complete power over the other, but both powerless because of it.

They kissed again, rougher this time in raw passion. Kiara sat up, Tommy following her, his hands on her back before flipping her around on to the mattress.