27. A Bet

Another fragile edge, and a tender sound

And then you went aground

Near a duller blade, a promise out of sight

There's nothing here for you tonight

- Hot Gates, by Mumford & Sons

"I have to go out. A few Irishmen from Sparkbrook contacted me and want to have a business meeting at the Garrison." Thomas explained as he straightened out the collar of his coat.

"Regarding what?" Kiara questioned, taking a sip from her tea as she sat at the dinning table.

"Don't know yet." He shook his head before stepping forward and leaning down to place a goodbye kiss on her lips. "I'll see you later." He said before standing up and turning to head for the door.

"If you see Grace tell her to wear red." Kiara called after him before he turned with a confused look. "To the races... It's Kimber's favourite colour."

"And how do you know that?"

"Men," Kiara shook her head, "you never take note of things such things as attire." She stated. "Kimber's tie the other night was red... to make him stand out amongst his men. It's a bold colour, a royal one... expensive. I bet he'll be wearing it at Cheltenham as well."

"Is that so?" Tommy said with a half grin. "I'll tell Grace... and I'll take that bet, but if you lose... I want you to promise me something."

"Promise you what?" She asked calmly.

"The next time I ask you to do something for your own good... like staying hidden around men like Kimber... You'll listen."

"Mmm," Kiara ponder, "and if I win?"

"Name it."

She thought about it for a moment before a smile came to her lips, "You teach me to drive."

"The car?" She nodded once. "Alright then." He agreed.

"Are you so confident that I'm wrong?" Kiara questioned, knowing he hated to lose.

"No... but if it means I have a slight chance of getting this promise... I'm willing."

"Get to work, Mr Shelby." Kiara stated, but not harshly instead with a playful smile on her lips.

He bowed his head slightly before heading for the door as Kiara shook hers at him and turned back to her cup of tea and toast.

A few hours later Polly arrived, a concerned look on her face.

"What is it?" Kiara asked.

"I have news. I'll wait till Thomas gets back to say, but I want you there... make sure he remains calm."

"That bad?" Kiara questioned.

"For him it will be."

Kiara took in a deep breath. "Very well." She then nodded.

The two waited until eventually Tommy came home just after lunch.

"Afternoon." He said in passing to Poll before beginning to walk over to the other side to greet his wife, but was stopped half way when his aunt spoke.

"Are you armed?" She asked.

"No." He stated, pulling off his hat and then raising the cigarette he had in his hand to his mouth.