45. Set Dinner

Our law of peace

Which understands

A husband leads

A wife commands

- Nevermind, by Leonard Cohen

Tommy's eyes fluttered open the next morning as he was sprawled out on the couch, one arm and one leg dangling over the edge as his aunt looked down on him with raised eyebrows.

"What in Christ's name have you done now?" She questioned.

"Nothing, Pol." He stated, not wanting the rest of his family sticking their nose in his business with his wife.

"You two always have your disputes and your fights, if she's mad enough at you Kiara will go sleep at her mother's or John's... she never kicks you out."

"Morning, Pol." Kiara smiled as she came into the living room and then made her way over to her husband, kissing him on the cheek. "Morning, My Love. Sleep well?" She asked, a hint of sarcasm in every word.

Tommy didn't reply, only looked at her wondering what the hell was going on inside her head. Polly was curious as well as she looked between them, but she only shook her head and walked out, not at all wanting to get between whatever it was that was going on.

"I have to go and open up the Garrison. I expect you have a lot to do today in preparation for tomorrow?" She asked casually, knowing tomorrow was the day they took out Kimber. Tommy nodded, her casualness all to confusing and eerie to process very well. He wondered what she was playing at. He was terrified of what was going on inside her mind, of what she might do. "Then I suspect I won't see you til dinner." She leant forward and kissed him, not on the cheek this time, no this time she kissed him on his lips, gently and softly, leaving him more dazed. "I'll have Harry lock up tonight. Dinner will be ready at 7. Don't be late." Kiara turned and began to walk away.

"I'm meeting with the Lees at 7 about tomorrow." Tommy called after her.

"You'll be meeting with the Lees at 6." She turned and faced him. "If you get there early and start your discussions immediately at 6 then you'll be done in time to make it home just on 7."

"I told them 7..." He stated, not in an arguing way, more in a curious 'what is going on inside your head,' kind of way.

"Be there at 6. Don't question it... trust me." She said no more and turned and left, leaving Tommy sitting on the couch, dazed and slightly hung over unsure of what the hell had just happened.

On her walk to work, Kiara found a boy on the side of the road. An orphan by the looks, hungry and cold. She walked over to him with a kind smile and crouched down to be at his eye level.

"What's your name?" She asked.

"Henry."

"Henry, that's a strong name. My grandma always used to tell me that the meaning behind a name held power over that person. That it held their fate."

"She sounds like a smart lady." The boy said.

"Oh, she's the smartest woman alive." Kiara smiled. "Do you think you could do me a favour, Henry?" The boy looked at her curiously, obviously wanting to know what it was before he agreed. She had to smile at that. The boy was smart as well. Smarter than he was no doubt given credit for. "I need to get a message to my grandmother. I have work that I have to attend to, you see and I don't have time to go all the way out to where she is. Do you think you could deliver this message for me? She's a very kind woman and she will happily give you food and shelter if you wish it."