43. Duty Of A Wife

This is how an angel dies

Blame it on my own sick pride

- Sail, by AWOLNATION

They woke the next day, they went about their business, went to bed that night, woke again and continued on, everything seeming normal and well, went to bed, woke up, played out the day. It was a good few days. After the incident with the IRA, Tommy kept Kiara away from the Garrison for a breather. Even he stayed away from the pub. To escape what had happened, to keep his mind off it and his wife's who ultimately seemed unfazed by the whole thing, he chose to dedicate the days that followed to her. He even followed through with his promise and started to teach her how to drive... which was a mildly terrifying experience. He was glad he chose to take her out of the city and into the country for the lessons otherwise someone may have been hit. Nonetheless they had fun.

Tommy reversed the car into the garage where they kept it beside the house and got out, walking around to the other side to open Kiara's door for her. He held out a hand for her to take as she stepped out, smiling up at her husband who smiled down. She leant up and gave him a quick kiss before he closed the car door and wrapped his arm across her shoulder as they began to walk, heading for the house.

"Tommy!" Finn came running over to them before they could make it inside. "They're gone, Tommy." He said. "They've been dug up."

And just like that the blissful days came to an end.

Tommy froze, not saying a word for a moment before turning back to the car. Kiara watched him for a couple of strides before looking back to Finn.

"Come on." She held out her hand for the youngest Shelby to take before leading him over to the car. Tommy still hadn't said a word and didn't protest to his wife and brother piling into the car as he started the engine.

He drove off at a much faster speed than they had pulled up at. And he remained silent, an off putting silence that seemed contagious as Finn and Kiara also said not a word. Not until they pulled up at the cemetery and they got out, Finn taking the lead, running through the graves all the way to Danny Whizz-Bang's.

Tommy stared down at the empty dug up hole before looking up and around nervously. Kiara stood behind Finn, placing a hand on either one of the boy's shoulders as Tommy took in a shaky breath. He glanced over to his wife as she returned his gaze knowingly before Tommy turned to his brother and crouched down to his eye level.

"There's going to be trouble now, Finn. You look after yourself, do you hear me? I'm gonna be gone away for a while. You look after Kiara, yeah?" The young boy nodded. "Right. Go on." Finn ran ahead, back to the car as Tommy turned back to his wife.

"Tommy..." Kiara went to shake her head, but Tommy cut her off, placing a hand on the back of her neck and pulling her in for a kiss.

"You know what's coming next." He whispered.

"You can't go to prison." She shook her head.

"I'm not."

"Then..."

"No." He shook his head. "You can't come with me. I need you to stay here. Look after things." Kiara went to shake her head once again. "Kiara, listen to me." He rested both his hands on either one of her shoulders. "I need you here. They'll question you, they'll search the house, but they can't do anything to you. There is no proof connecting you to any of this. Play it out like you know nothing, they have no proof to say otherwise only speculation. They'll be after me, not John, not Arthur... me. I'll find a place to lay low for a night or two until things settle down and then meet up with Danny."