38. Go Along

Feet don't fail me now

Take me to your finish line

Oh my heart it breaks every step that I take

- Born To Die, by Lana Del Rey

Kiara went to the Garrison and drank a bit, then she went and visited her mother and sister, but avoided her brother knowing he would sense something was wrong and ask questions. John would be dealing with Lizzie so she couldn't go back to his place. So instead she found herself wandering home just after dark. When she got there she met Tommy at the door as he arrived at the same time.

"So you're back." He stated. She said nothing and opened the door, walking inside. "Can't give me the cold shoulder forever, K." He said, following her in.

"I'm tired of being angry with you, Tommy." She whispered.

"Then stop." He stated. "Stop and just trust that I know what I'm doing."

"I know you know what you're doing. You always have, but that doesn't change the things you do along the way. I don't want to keep arguing, but lately it seems like there's always something to argue about and I'm tired of yelling. I'm not giving you the cold shoulder, I just... I have nothing else to say."

Tommy sighed and stepped forward, lightly brushing back the hair from her face.

"Kiara." He breathed. "I know I've said this a lot lately, but... It's just business. Grace is just business."

"Your brother's marriage?"

"In a sense it is, yes, but if he needs a wife to help him with the kids then it's also beneficial for him." Kiara shook her head, breaking eye contact.

"Tommy... you started a war with my family and now you're trying to make peace with them by selling them you're brother."

"Well... technically it's more like they're selling us..." He trailed off, Kiara's eyes turned stone cold. "Listen... I hate fighting." He quickly moved on. "The decision will be John's, I've just laid out the cards, he can choose which one he plays... as for Grace... I've told you there's nothing going on."

"That doesn't change the fact that I don't trust her."

"But I do." He stated calmly. "So can't you trust me?"

Kiara hated that play. It made her feel like she'd been ignoring his opinion as much as he had hers. It was silent for a long time as they stared back at each other until eventually she sighed.

"I'm not happy with it." Kiara stated. "But... for now I'll go along with it." Thomas smiled, stepping closer and closing the gap before leaning down to kiss her. She kissed back, but then quickly pulled back. "I'm still mad." She added.

"I can tell... you have that look." He teased.

She smiled, shaking her head over the mention of the look he loved before they closed the distance once again.

They made their way to the stairs and began to run up them, Tommy pulling his wife along while holding her hand, but he stopped still when he heard a noise from a creaking floorboard coming from inside their room. Tommy rose a finger to his lips, silently telling Kiara to remain quiet as he reached for his revolver, pushing her behind him before swinging the door open and aiming his gun at the person in the room.

"Bloody hell, John." Tommy sighed as he lowered the gun and stood up straight.

John stood, holding Tommy's opium pipe. "I couldn't get it lit." He said. "Couldn't even do that." He stated.