10. Just Once

Oh love, you covered my skin

With your eyes as they found me

I kissed you, danced in your sand

And fell into a never ending moment

And the whisper from your mouth through mine

With those words that gently filled my lungs

Lover of mine, when I'm with you

I forget how am I to being lonely

Living without you

Spend another day passing by you

Don't wanna know how it feels if I do

- Oh Love, by Ane Brun

"Pregnant?" Kiara went wide-eyed after John had told her.

"Yeah, Martha's pregnant. I'm gonna be a father." He announced.

They hadn't really spent as much time together since that day at the Garrison, but John thought he should tell her himself.

"What are you going to do?" She asked.

"What do you mean? I'm going to marry her." He shrugged.

"John... you and Martha have been messing around for over a year. Have you ever once said it?"

"Said what?"

"That you love her."

"She's having my kid."

"That's... John..."

"I might. I could love her, one day. Just not right now. Look... I know we haven't been spending as much time together lately, but... I asked Tommy to be my best man and I spoke to Martha and we want you to be maid of honour." Kiara gave him a small smile before pulling him in for a hug. John's eyebrows furrowed together slightly in confusion, "Is that a yes?" He asked.

"Yes." Kiara laughed, pulling back as John chuckled in return. "Of course I will. I'm so happy for you." She grinned.

"Yeah." He whispered back before glancing to the side to see Tommy standing in a doorway "So, umm... you two..." He began awkwardly. "Tommy, you gonna man up any time soon and tell Riley?"

Tommy glanced over to Kiara as if she held all the answers. "Don't look at me... it's your beating." She stated as Tommy rolled his eyes and John laughed. John was still the only one who knew about them.

The wedding was a few days later. With a baby on the way they didn't want to mess around. As best man and maid of honour, Tommy and Kiara stood opposite one another, Thomas hardly taking his eyes off her which she found hard not to smile at, neither one of them noticing Riley observing the glances.

It was during the dances that Kiara excused herself to break free of the crowd. She went outside, around the back of the building the ceremony had been held in and before long she was joined by Tommy.

He came up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist and then nuzzling into her neck, leaving a trail of kisses. She giggled as she turned around to face him, neither of them saying a word before their lips crashed into one another. This was how they operated. Hidden away from everyone else. 7 months. It had been going on for seven months.

Thomas lifted her up as her legs wrapped around his stomach and he backed her up against a wall for support.

"What the hell is this?!" They were ripped apart by a loud voice. Kiara's feet hit the ground and Tommy backed away from her a few steps, the both of them looking at Riley.

"Riley." Kiara breathed.

"Listen," Thomas held out his hand in an attempt to calm him, "I can explain."

Riley's eyes glazed over in anger as his hand balled up into a fist by his side and he lurched forward, slamming it hard into Tommy's jaw.

"Riley!" Kiara screamed. Tommy didn't want to fight back. He allowed Riley to punch him again, knocking him down.

"Riley, stop!" Kiara begged.

"Listen to me!" Thomas started again. "I swear it's not what it looks like!"

"I'm going to kill you, Thomas." Riley growled just as John, Arthur and Freddie came running out at the sound of the commotion, a load of other people behind them including Martha, Ada and Polly.

"I love her!" Thomas yelled, stopping everyone in their tracks, Kiara above all. "If you want to kill me for that, then so be it." He said beginning to get to his feet once again. "I'll allow it. I'll stand back and I'll let you, I won't fight. But I'll be damned if I'm going to pretend that I don't." He shook his head.

It went silent. Riley and Thomas stared each other down as Kiara glanced between them and the others observed in shock and no doubt entertainment. Then Riley raised his fist one more time, swinging hard in the same place he had hit him the first time, knocking him back down to the ground and then storming off, not saying a word to anyone as he did.

Kiara ran forward, helping Tommy to his feet.

"Alright, folks. Nothing to see here. Back to the dance floor." Arthur began to move the crowd back through the door.

John turned to his new bride and ushered her back, throwing one more glance towards where Kiara crouch next to his brother who was sat up, wiping some blood from the corner of his mouth.

"I'll talk to him." Kiara whispered to Tommy before helping him up.

"It might be better to let him be for the moment." He suggested.

"For you to let him be, not me. He won't lash out at me." She shook her head. "Go back inside. I'll find Riley." Tommy looked her over before he raised a hand to rest on her cheek before leaning down to give her a gentle kiss.

"Alright, go." He nodded.

She took a few steps before stopping and then turning back. "Did you mean it?" She asked genuinely.

He didn't need to ask to know what she was referring to. "Yes." He stated. "Have for a long time, just didn't know how to say it."

She smiled over at him, "I love you too." She said softly causing him to return the smile before they both parted ways.

She found her brother sitting alone at the Garrison, sipping away at a glass of whisky. She quietly sat down next to him, but she didn't look her way.

"How long?" He asked.

"7 months." She stated, not bothering with any embellishments. Riley scoffed and shook his head, taking another swig of his drink. "We wanted to tell you... tell anyone, but we didn't know how. Riley... I'm not a kid anymore. You can't protect me from everything forever." Silence. "Riley... I love him."

He took another drink before placing it back down on the bench with a sigh and the turning to face his sister.

"If he fucks up... just once... I'll kill him."

A smile spread over he face before she leapt forward into a hug that Riley chuckled over.

"Thank-you." The grinned before taking off to find Thomas while Riley turned back to his drink with a deep breath.