42. I Wanted To Do It

I try to keep my conscience clean.

I try to keep myself out of your bad dreams.

I try to wash my hands for you every night,

oh, lest you find my strangling fingers

wrapped around tight.

- David, by Noah Gunderson

"Go home, Grace." Was the first thing Tommy said as he and Kiara walked into the Garrison close to midnight.

"Are you expecting trouble? At this hour."

"No actually. We just want to drink in peace and quiet. Would you mind?"

Grace hesitated, but she still left, not wanting to disobey any orders. The IRA had left a sudden message about when they were going to show up. They wanted to meet at midnight at the Garrison with only Tommy and Kiara to greet them. Tommy had to immediately run to inform the cops who would come in on the 6th chime at midnight.

"Unless they instruct otherwise... stay behind the bar, look busy, make drinks for us. They shouldn't question that." Tommy said to his wife as he walked over to her, pulling her coat around her a little to ensure that her gun was concealed. He raised both his hands, gripping either side of her face to look in her eyes. "Remember... don't pull the gun out until I say so. And don't fire, just point, I'll do the rest." He took a step back as Kiara nodded. "Alright, show me." He gestured for her to raise the gun so he could check her technique.

Kiara sighed, knowing full well how to use one, something Tommy was aware of, but he needed to make sure. Kiara raised the gun and took aim to where the IRA would be sitting. Tommy stood behind her, reaching across her and placing his hand on top of hers steadying the gun.

"This'll be over soon." He whispered, his lips right next to her ear as his other hand rested on her waist before he kissed the top of her head and the first chime of midnight sounded. "Right, put it away." He quickly snapped back into action, lowering her hand with the gun as she concealed it again and double-checked to make sure it wasn't visible.

He walked back around to the other side of the bar and took up a seat at a table, facing the front door. Right on time, Byrne and another IRA member walked through the door and Kiara immediately began to look busy. They stepped over to the table, Byrne throwing her a nod as the other man looked her up and down and then smiled. A smile that made her skin crawl, but she didn't show it. She grabbed out glasses and a jug, not being overly quick about it as she was supposed to stay behind the bar, but not moving so slow that it would seem suspicious.

"Cordial again, Mr Byrne?" She asked as she grabbed the glasses.

"No, nothing." He stated, causing her to stop.

"Lost your thirst, eh?" Tommy asked.

"Just show us where." He shot back, impatiently.

Kiara didn't bother asking the other man, but her throat was suddenly dry so she poured herself a glass of water nonetheless and took a sip. Tommy reached into his suit and pulled out a map, holding it up. "Give me the cash." He stated.

Byrne nodded and his friend reached into his pocket and pulled out a full envelope, sliding it over to Tommy as he placed the map down.

"You're gonna need a shovel." Tommy stated.

Byrne opened it up and smiled, nodding. This caused his friend to smile and then chuckle. "You thick fucking tinker. Did you think we'd let you live?" He asked, raising a gun and pointing it at Tommy.