23. A Chance

Is anyone able to explain to me how the Shelby house works? Because sometimes it seems like they have their living house and then the betting shop is in a separate building, but still set out like a house and other times it seems like they are the same house so they live and work there. Arthur and John both have their own places I know. So where do Ada, Polly and Tommy live? In the betting shop house or does only Tommy live there with maybe Ada and Polly has her own place?

Shadows settle on the place that you left

Our minds are troubled by the emptiness

Destroy the middle, it's a waste of time

From the perfect start to the finish line

- Youth, by Daughter

Kiara finished putting on her dress for the day and did her hair in the mirror of the dresser that had been reserved for her things only while he had his own on the other side of the bedroom. Just as she was finishing, while she sat in her chair facing the mirror, Tommy came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her shoulder. He buried his nose in her neck before kissing it while K's hand reached up and rested on the back of his head as he did.

"What are you doing today?" She asked before he stood up straight once again.

"Going to take the horse out for a ride, see how if he's still feeling sore."

"If he is, should you be riding him on the cobble road?" She questioned.

"It wasn't that bad yesterday, just a little noticeable. What about you?"

"No plans other than to clean up after you boys in the betting shop."

"Mmm, don't let them make you do all the work. They're capable of taking a glass to the kitchen every so often." Tommy stated as he pulled his hat on his head.

"But then what would I do?"

Tommy placed a hand on her back as he leant down to where she sat and placed a quick goodbye kiss on her lips. "What ever you want, my love." He answered before heading for the door.

Kiara soon went down stairs and began making the usual morning tea that the boys would drink in the back working room and then took it in there, setting it up on the table ready for them for when they arrived. John was the first to walk through the door, a flustered look on his face like most mornings after he'd rushed to get all four of his kids ready for school.

"Morning." Kiara smiled to him.

"Morning, K. How's my beautiful sister-in-law today?" He asked with a returned smile as he walked over to the tea. "Not still angry at us about what happened with the Lee's are you? Because you know we were defending your honour as well as our mothers."

"I wasn't angry at you, John, but no. Everything's fine."

"Good." He nodded before walking over to her and placing a kiss on her cheek. "Because you looked ready to kill yesterday." He finished before more of the men began piling through the front door. "Can I ask a favour?"

"What is it?"

John nodded for her to follow him over to a table before he reached underneath it and pulled out a box of cash. "This needs counting and writing down. It's all the bets placed on Monaghan Boy. They're all bundled accordingly to each bet, it just needs writing down in the book. Our man who usually counts it said he was going to be late today and we need it done by this afternoon, before the race. Polly mentioned you did some of this while we were away, so..."