Daddy Talk

TYRONE

I drove over to the park that Harlem said we should meet at.

I saw her with her hair curly and blowing in the wind. No makeup or anything.

She was beautiful, a vision. Pretty much what her mother looked like back then but taller.

Rakim looked like himself, he didn't dress different at all.

It's kind of hard when you want your daughter to date a honest, original and thoughtful man and she gets one and it makes you sort of angry because you can't give a reason for them not to be together.

"Hi Dr.Fisher, how are you?"

Rakim said nervously extending his hand to shake mine.

"I'm fine. Well I think I need get right into this. Harlem I think this needs to be just me and your boy friend."

"I know I brought my iPad so I can catch up on Gotham. You boys play nice."

She kissed his cheek then mine. As soon as she was out of sight I gave Rakim a stern look. I was reading him almost like with my patients except I was emotionally attached to this one.

He looked at me and said some things I didn't think he would.

"What is this about sir cause honestly I was scared but I'm not because Ms.Samila was right. You and Harlem are thinkers and I'm not here because you want to see if I'm good for Harlem. You already know that. You've been thinking and you figured that the best way to get her is to know what I know."

He said very confident in his answer.

"Your right. But I do remember a time you hurt my daughter and you two weren't talking. She told me that. I may not know her well but I do know we're very similar and she's a sucker for you. When you guys are good you're perfect. You need to be aware that it can get bad, very bad but you have to stay for those times too. You need to be able to understand that if your going to tell her you love her that's what it takes to actually mean that."

He wasn't expecting that. He rubbed his chin like was looking his next move.

"Why can't you just do this with her? No disrespect but damn sir you literally talk to people for a living."

Rakim said and he was right. Why couldn't I have a heart to heart with her?

"When I'm talking to other people I'm thinking logically. I think with my brain, I'm not biased but I can't do that with her. I'm emotionally invested and attached. I can't say all the right things because I'm a dad. Her Dad."

"Then just listen. Tell her you love her and make her feel safe. Tell her you really like her boy friend. Nothing you don't already feel sir."

"I see what you did there Rakim and don't be slick. Honestly though you make sense and Thank you for being the person she could talk to."

Two Days Prior

RAKIM

I went over to Harlem's house and Ms.Samila answered the door with a big smile.