Making New Friends

Nobody likes being alone that much. I don’t go out of my way to make friends, that’s all. It just leads to disappointment.

            -Haruki Murakami

__________________________________________

            HARLEM

I walk into the cafeteria apparently I have third lunch. I'm still thinking of Rakim he looks way too familiar.

He's dark-skinned with some long braids. They look like "The color purple" braids, he has golds and a snapback he wears backwards.

Then it hits me he looks just like and I mean just like A$AP Rocky.

I take a seat alone eating my pepperoni pizza and looking at some pictures I took today. 

Then a girl from my creative thinking class sits next to me.

"Hey I'm Kittie Dane your the new girl right?" she says with a smile that you can't really help but warm up to.

"Um Hi yeah I am. I'm Harlem. don't get offended but is your name really Kittie?"

I thought maybe it was a nickname.

"I know weird name but yes that's my real name. Is yours really Harlem?"

"Yeah that's where I'm from actually."

"Oh that cute. So that's why you dress like that."

I kinda felt like she was about to become like those girls that introduce themselves then tell you that your not all that. Like some type of Mean Girls type stuff.

"Oh and don't think I'm some stuck up kinda girl because I'm not." she says pretty much wiping that thought out of my head.

"I like your hair its a nice color too." I say eyeing her short cut that's all her natural hair.

Her hair is a chestnut color.

"Thank you girl. I like yours too it's real long and thick. I'll be right be right back though I'm going to buy a pizza." She gets up and heads to the line saying hi to a couple people on her way.

As I'm looking away I see Rakim walking in with two other guys I recognize from my first period.

Rakim must be extremely popular he is saying hi, hugging and dapping up everyone in his path. He's smiling his beautiful smile and he has taken out his golds.

Just like I thought his smile is as white as the outfit Miley Cyrus wore in "We Can't Stop".

I look away and go back to what I was doing.

While I listen and rap along to "Lil Wayne x Gun Walk".

"I'm strapped up nigga fvck a gun law, see me walking with a limp that's my gun walk I don't do no arguin' , I let the gun talk!"

"Damn Harlem you's a straight thug."

Rakim startled me I swear he was all the way on the other side of the cafeteria.

I removed my head phones because it's kinda rude keeping them on if someone is talking to you.

"Lol Sorry"

I apologized for nothing really.

Rakim scooted closer to me and rested his head on his fist looking at me all goofy like.

"It's all good shawty. So when you gone take pictures of me

cause you know I be that pretty mothetfuvker."