Chapter 36~ Diwali Special: Maaza ye aaj

(A/N: wasn't sure how this was going to end, usually i just make up most of my writing, but the fire reminded me of a fun activity we did with our science teacher so i was like oh might as well dedicate it to my awesome Science teacher ;D Next chapter's going to be for my form teacher ;D It's almost December :( I will be updating more often promise :p)

It was like the Indian version of Christmas- but 10 times better. My mum had the claypots ready, stretching the cotton balls and inserting scented oil, everyone else except my dad was helping. He was like me: he didn’t see the point in Diwali celebrations, especially going to the temple.

All our uncles and aunties had come over to our house, and sure enough the aunts were making a big fuss and gossiping while the males were sitting in front of the tv, beers in their hand.  

Then, there was me, just hiding in my room. Usually i liked celebrations,  liked dressing up, but today i was just in a lazy mood. So instead of wearing the new salwar kameez my mother bought me every year, i was in a t-shirt lying on my bed, grateful winter was approaching.

11:30 A random firework fired in the air. It was about to begin.

“Aishwarya, what are you doing here? Come on, get up! Go out and talk to your cousins and relatives! I don’t care if you don’t wear the salwar kameez okay, but please stop sulking.” My mother appeared, carrying a tray of samosas.

“No, leave me alone. I don’t want to go out, it’s always the same with them. I just want to sleep.”

“Hey! We are the hosts here, and you are acting very rude. Do you want the hi-five with the chappal (indian sandal)?” Her voice rose, but I knew her threat was meaningless.

“Go ahead, do it in front of everyone, haan? They can see child abuse live.”

“Child abuse? Child abuse? We look after you, pay your bills, do everything and you can’t even greet our guest hain na? Ungrateful child, sometimes i think you’re turning into pure rubbish. Corrupted generation, this is parent abuse!” She slammed the door quickly. (This was inspired by IISuperwomanII Indian parents impression, have only recently watched her, and i got so addicted I watched 120 videos in two days D: ahah one love guys one loves :p)

I waited for the sound of her footsteps to travel downstairs, as i inched my body closer to the window. The weather was 15 degrees, and despite it being midnight, i was surrounded by obnoxious lights. There was nowhere to hide.

Crack. Crack. Crack. The orange-yellow flame of supposed joy filtered through the air. I glanced below and Akash had his hands out, fire erupting from his hands. I blinked my eyes, how can he be so stupid? Must he always resort to desperate attempts so I would talk to him again?  

My feets were faster then my brain, I was already out in the backyard.

“Akash what are you doing?!” I shouted. My throat got caught and there was a long pause as he ignored my voice, and watched the ring of fire erupt from his fingers into the night sky.

“Hey, are you okay?” A deep male voice asked, concerned. I spun around to find myself facing a tall male with bright aqua eyes and a grin. “You know it’s fake, right?” He grinned again.

“Wait what? But...it is real fire?”

The stranger shook his head, smiling and shaking his head.

“He applied H2O on his hands before touching the fire. You see the chemistry-,”

As soon as I heard that word, I put my hand up. “Hold up, I’m not here for a chemistry lesson, please, please, don’t give me one. I hate chemistry. By the way, what’s your name?” I asked, hoping the change of topic would not ensure he did not mention Chemistry again.