10: Mate and Guardian (Part 1)

“You idiot! No more talking!”

Ryker was now yelling at John. The moment his lips touched mine, I gasped, taking in a much needed breath before the darkness had a chance to take me. After regaining my normal vision and the slight wheeze I had were gone, Ryker turned to John and shooting death glares at him.

“You realize that is all too much for her, for anyone, to take in? Just sit there and keep your mouth shut until I tell you otherwise.”

The Alpha tone lacking in his words but the menace behind them was enough to have John sitting down hesitantly and effectively shutting his pie hole. I would have laughed at John’s expression had it not been for the reminder that I was so lost on this conversation.

“Stop yelling at him and tell me what’s going on.”

I demanded as I watch both of them suddenly become sqirmish. Looking to each other for a few moments before Ryker took my hand and led me to the bed. Gently pushing me back to sit at the edge before he came to sit on the left side of me.

“Dallas, you are my mate.”

Ryker said after a deep breath, the expectant look on his face telling me I should somehow be aware of this already. Thinking about it, I still didn’t understand why everyone here referred to their partner as their mate. Why not just call them what they are? Your boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife. I didn’t get it.

“We are not mates.”

I said looking down at my hands. He wanted to be my friend and I didn’t know how to be anyone’s friend. Hell, even with Jax, our ‘relationship’ consisted of him trying to help me and me being the worlds’ biggest bitch to him. But the dumbass kept coming back for more.

Pain filled my chest as I peaked up to Ryker. Hurt, fear, and sorrow all clouded his eyes as he looked down at me. I didn’t know what to say to make him feel better and that was bothering me. I wanted to make him feel better.

I wanted to see his smile, make him laugh, and just make sure he was happy. I had no idea where the feelings came from but the longer I was around him, the stronger need I felt to make him happy.

“What do you think he means when he says mate?”

John spoke up, cocking his head to the side as he interrupted my thoughts. I was grateful.

“Friends? I don’t really know. Cordy calls Devin her mate so I thought maybe she meant her boyfriend?”

I said, talking to no one really. I was actually speaking more to myself as I tried to work through this all out loud.

“But then she called Ryker my mate and….well, he’s not either.”

I made the mistake of looking at him again and instantly regretted it. His pained expression tugging at my heart as I reached for his hand, liking the tingles that came along with it.

“I-I mean, maybe you could be?....I’m not use to having anyone, so friends isn’t really a concept I’m familiar with. I honestly don’t know how to be someone’s friend.”

Holy fuck! Where did that come from? I’m sitting here like a sodding sook just spilling my guts. I actually sounded like I cared, which I did, but I’ve never had so much emotion behind simple words before.

Relief washed over me twice as I continued to gaze at Ryker. His sully features took on an understanding and an ecstatic look just before he leaned down a bit and touched his soft lips against my forehead. Pulling back with a wide grin on his face.

I wasn’t sure how long he and I just sat there looking at each other, but after a while I could feel an awkward tension and a tad of jealousy. Soon the seemingly comfortable silence Ryker and I were sharing turned into something that had my skin tingling but not in its normal way when around him.