6: I know she's hurt you

“I, uh…I, it’s late. How about we get you home and in bed?”

I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t look into Tristian’s big brown eyes and tell him I wasn’t sticking around much longer. Something about this kid just drew me in and I felt like I would literally die if I wasn’t with him.

Pulling back, I steadied him before getting to my feet. Just as I did his little arms lifted in the air, his eyes practically begging me to pick him up and carry him. The funny thing was, that was exactly what I wanted to do, I wanted this tiny boy in my arms, to hear his little breaths as he rested his head on my shoulder.

I was about to pick him up when the sound of a door slamming caught my attention. Looking up I saw Jasmine running towards us, a murderous glare on her face as she looked between me and Tris.

At first I thought it was because of her love for the boy that she didn’t want him near a rogue but as she got closer I could see the way she looked at him. Hatred filled her eyes as she sneered at the toddler.

He was just a pawn in her game, she would leave him the instant she didn’t need him anymore. In that moment I truly wanted to kill her. I may not have been the warmest person around but I sure as hell wasn’t as evil as her, to use a child for her gain.

I knew instantly that Tristian wasn’t hers, shit, I wasn’t 100% sure he was even Ryker’s. The only difference was that he truly cared for the boy.

So lost in my thoughts I almost didn’t see her reach for Tris, her talon like nails curled as she went to grab for him. The need to protect him fueled me as I gently, well as gently as I could, pushed him behind me.

Within a second I had my arm out, hand clenched around her throat as she shrieked in horror. She didn’t see that coming, she assumed I wouldn’t do anything around Ryker. She didn’t even look to Tristian, so I knew she really didn’t care what happened to him.

“Do not touch him.”

My voice coming out as calm and menacing. Staring her dead in the eyes she flinched at my tone.

“Dallas, let her go, now!”

Ryker’s words held his Alpha tone and as much as I felt the need to obey him, the thought of her hurting Tristian outweighed that feeling. And somehow I knew she had, at some point this disgusting excuse for a person had hurt this child and I wanted nothing more than to repay the favor.

“Let me go before I kill you! You stupid bitch, you’re de-”

I nearly laughed when Tristian step out from behind me and kicked the living hell out of her leg. But the anger in his eyes made my heart drop, it was too much anger for such a small child to have. I should know, I’ve had that same look on my face since I was his age.

“You try it and I will rip you up with my hands! So will daddy!”

The glare that Tristian was sending her was adorable. He was beet red and clenching his little fists to his sides, his lips pursed as his small nostrils flared. Had I not been holding her I would have knelt down and kissed away his deep frown.

“TRISTIAN DAVIS DANIELS! You will not speak to a woman that way!”

Ryker’s voice boomed as Tristian stepped back behind me, clinging to my leg as he sniffled. I was torn between yelling at Ryker for making him cry and telling Tristian he was right, women deserved respect…maybe not this one but most. It was so odd, the conflicting feelings I had for these two.

“Dallas you will put her down this instant, please, I don’t want to have to hurt you. But I can’t just let you attack a female member of my pack for no reason.”