Part 1 Capture

I'm so stupid. I thought to myself as I drove down the deserted road in the dark. I knew that these parts of town were rough, and to be avoided at all costs. Especially with an almost empty tank of gas and only one working headlight. But oh no I just had to stay late at my best friend Alice's house.

I sighed, shaking my head as I squinted into the dark. It was late, far too late to be out right now, especially as Robbie would be going out of his mind with worry over where I was.

Deciding to pull over to see where I was, I let my eyes fall shut for a moment. I hadn't realised how tired I was until then. Now that I thought about it, I had been working none stop at the book shop, and had been trying none stop to make sure Robbie was happy after his accident last fall.

Maybe my mum was right and it was all too much. I'd burn out eventually if I kept going.

My head snapped up at the sound of something moving around in the woods beside me. Which meant it was loud, as my window was tightly sealed shut and music softly played from the radio.

My heart rate began to speed up, however I ignored it. It was most likely just an animal, nothing to worry about. Taking a deep breath to calm my ridiculous nerves, I opened up the sat nav app on my phone, groaning in frustration when I saw I'd taken the wrong turn and have ended up in the middle of nowhere in the English countryside.

Gnawing on my bottom lip, I decided maybe it would just be best to call Robbie now and tell him I'm alright. I felt guilt pinch at my stomach at the thought of him eating dinner alone, wondering when his girlfriend would be home.

Robbie, thank god, picked up after two rings. I don't know what I'd do with myself if somehow he was unable to pick up. The guilt would be too much.

"Nat?" His worried voice came down the line. "Oh my god, Nat. Where the hell are you? I've been going out of my mind with worry!"

I squeezed my eyes shut, resisting the urge to cry. It's been that long of a night, it would seem. "I'm alright, Robbie. I just took the wrong turn is all. I'm not sure when I'll be home, but just wanted to call and tell you what's happened."

"But you're alright?" He said, sounding less worried now that he knew what had happened.

I nodded my head, despite him not being able to see the action. "Yes, I'll be home soon. Go to bed, I'll wake you when I get back."

"With your elephant feet, I don't doubt it." He joked, his voice lighter now.

I laughed. "Love you."

"You too."

I hung up first, pressing my phone to my chest as I thought about my wonderful boyfriend. One would think that a person would change after losing any feeling and movement from the waist down after a terrible car accident. But Robbie was still the man I had fallen head over heels for when sixteen, and had decided to move in with despite the two year gap that had my family unsure of our relationship. We had battled through the judgment together and now were as happy as ever.

My thoughts were cut off at the sound coming from the woods again, this time sounding like a human cry of pain. I gasped, my hand instantly flying to the unlock button of my door. Pushing the door open, I all but scrambled out of my car and straight for the woods towards the sound of the noise.

I wasn't thinking straight, that was for sure, the only thing on my mind being the potential injured person in need of help. I suppose instinct just took over.