5.2 - Making up for Mistakes

This story has officially reached 400 FAVS on Quotev! Ahh! Thank you so much, guys!

There's going to be a few changes and original pieces in this chapter rather than how the scenes work in the episode. I hope you like it!

Vampire Diaries Fanfic | Dawn of a New Day | 5.2 - Making up for Mistakes

Stefan Salvatore was standing in the middle of the dairy selection isle at the nearby grocery store the moment school ended that day, his eyes gazing over the different varieties of cheeses and yogurts. The dish he had in mind for tonight was one that he planned to do from the moment Olivia accepted the invitation for him to cook dinner. This was a massive hope of forgiveness for how ridiculous he's been over the last couple of days. After confirming with Jeremy about his girlfriend's favourite dish, he got to work in remembering the recipe in his head. It really did help that he came from an Italian background with a high passion for cooking from scratch.

"Stefan?" A voice said with a pinch of uncertainty behind him just as he went to grab a medium pot of mozzarella, five balls of compact cheeses rolling around inside. He would have made his own but it takes time and it's something he didn't have on such a short notice – it's also because it's been a while since he's actually made it from scratch so he may need a refresher.

Stefan turned around after grabbing the pot and was surprised to see Elena Gilbert, Olivia's twin sister, standing behind him. She was standing there with a small look of surprise on her face but then there was a stubbornness set in. Her arms crossed over her chest and she stood there looking determined. "Elena?" Wondering what she was doing here because this was a grocery store. From what he could gather, Elena didn't do any type of shopping unless it involved clothes or hanging out with Bonnie Bennett. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to talk," Elena replied, glancing around and noticed that they were actually the only two people down this isle right now. "Liv mentioned that you were coming over tonight."

"I am." Stefan nodded, a little confused but answered anyway, "I'm going to make her chicken parmesan."

"Good choice." The brunette nodded approvingly with a small smile, but then it vanished and another look crossed her face. "But first, I wanna say this. I haven't actually had a real chance to talk to you since you started dating my sister but I just wanted to say one thing. I've seen a real difference in my sister since you came into her life and I think that's great, it's a good thing and I hope it stays that way." She looked into his eyes, taking a deep breath, "But, if you even think about hurting her intentionally and I mean ANYTHING intentional, then I will become the definition of a protective sister and it will NOT be pretty." She paused. "Understand?" Raising an eyebrow as if daring to question her.

Stefan blinked with shock but nodded slowly anyway, understanding completely where she was coming from. He was actually a little amazed that this talk hadn't come sooner but he liked that there was an understanding – he respected the fact that Elena Gilbert was protective of her sister. He also liked the fact that she was also NOTHING like Katherine Pierce, just as Olivia was absolutely nothing like Lyla Pierce.

"Good." Elena accepted the nod as an agreement. She was about to turn away but her whole body language shifted, one that slipped into a more carefree stance, "And Stefan," She continued, starting to smile gratefully now with clear happiness, "Thank you." She said truly, "If you hadn't come to town when you did ... I don't think Olivia would have ever been this happy." And slowly, she started backing away from him before her feet began walking her towards the end of the isle.

Stefan was watching her go before another voice caught his attention from the side – an old man had stopped beside him, his face filled with bewilderment and disturbance. "I know you." The vampire's head snapped to the voice, "My god..." The man breathed. He was probably in his seventies to eighties with a brown suit and tie, an African-American male with grey hair spotting from the top of his head.