3.3 - Awkward Gathering

Vampire Diaries Fanfic | Dawn of a New Day | 3.3 - Awkward Gathering

After unsuccessfully being able to keep Damon from getting an invite into the house; everyone was now sitting on the sofas in the front room, drinking mugs of coffee and chatting. Well, Caroline was chatting.

"I cannot believe Mr. Tanner let you on the team." She exclaimed, looking to Stefan with surprise – knowing the man would have never done that unless Stefan really was skilled enough to win them the prize this year. "Tyler must be seething." She shifted herself on Damon's lap, his arm wrapped around her waist – there were no other seats so she opted to sit in her boyfriend's lap. And it was a sofa chair, meaning only one could technically sit on it anyways.

Olivia and Stefan were sitting together on the small sofa while Bonnie and Elena sat together on the other one.

"But good for you," Caroline continued, about to take a sip of coffee from her mug. "Go for it." She placed her mug back onto the coffee table after taking her sip, snuggling back onto Damon's lap. Over to the side, Elena's eyes kept flicking towards the interaction with something dazzling in her eyes – longing?

Damon noticed this, smirking inside.

"That's what I always tell him. That you have to engage." Damon played the big brother who really cared about his little brother's life. He looked over to Stefan, "You can't just sit there and wait for life to come to you." Amusement was practically riddling in his eyes, "You have to go get it." Really exaggerating.

Caroline seemed to agree, "Yeah, Liv wasn't so lucky today." She turned towards her best friend with a smile, "But it's only because you missed summer camp. We'll work on it together; you'll be your ship-shape self in no time." Olivia sent her a smile back but didn't really mean it. The idea didn't actually sound so fun to her anymore ... it sounded like a lot more work than she can bare right now.

Damon took this opportunity for himself, "You know, Olivia ... you don't seem like the cheerleading type." Looking towards the young vampire who hasn't spoken since his entrance into the house – but he obviously knew why.

Seeing Olivia not wanting to speak, Caroline took the spotlight again but this time, a little bitterness crawled into her last words without a filter button, "Oh, it's just because her parents died and then something happening in Chicago, something that she won't tell anyone ... even me." Olivia couldn't help but tense at the mention of the City of her turning, but Bonnie and Elena were sending the blonde disapproving looks at the same time.

"Caroline." Bonnie scolded, wondering what was wrong with her – she'd never usually say something like that, especially so harshly towards Olivia.

Olivia took a sip of her coffee, ignoring the hurt she felt when Caroline finished her sentence. It wasn't that she didn't want to tell Caroline what had really happened to her, it's that she wanted her best friend to stay ignorant of all this Supernatural crap. Even when it came to her twin sister or anyone else she's close too ... she didn't want them finding about her ... condition. They'd look at her differently for one thing – maybe even show fear.

Her worst fear was that they become scared of her, thinking she wasn't their Olivia anymore.

At Bonnie's scolding, Caroline seemed to realise what she actually said to her best friend – someone who was almost like a sister. "I-I say that with complete sensitivity." She looked towards Olivia with an apologetic look now fixed into her features. The girl just sent a small smile back, waving it off – letting her know that it didn't bother her right now.

Which was a ... small lie, but she learned to ignore it. It's just one of the never ending consequences to being what she was.

"I'm sorry Olivia ... Elena," Taking a good look over to the twin he's had his eyes on for a while. Damon grinned secretly to himself, "I know what it's like to lose both your parents. In fact," Now looking over to Stefan, "Stefan and I have watched almost every single person we've ever cared for ... die."