1.3 - Party at the Falls

Vampire Diaries Fanfic | Dawn of a New Day | 1.3 - Party at the Falls

It felt like da-ja-vu when Olivia found herself in History again, listening to the worst teacher this School has every employed. Mr. Tanner was once again going over the same material they went through yesterday – who could obviously see how painful it was to listen because he just loved to torture his students.

"The Battle of Willow Creek took place at the end of the war in our very own Mystic Falls." Mr. Tanner paced around his desk, his eyes darting around the room to find his text target and evident victim. "How many casualties resulted in this battle?" He questioned before his eyes set on Bonnie, "Miss Bennett?"

Bonnie jumped in her seat, her head springing up - her attention going from the doodles in front of her to Mr. Tanner. "Uh ... a lot?" She winced seeing the teacher's eye twitch. "I'm not sure, like a whole lot." She tried to be cool, and even though it got several chuckles from her fellow students, Mr. Tanner didn't look amused at all.

"Cute becomes dumb in an instant, Miss Bennett." Mr. Tanner retorted, breaking her 'playing it cool' façade. It was slightly surprising that no parents have reported him for some of the things he's said to his students over the years.

Olivia had to clench her fists, unknowingly snapping her pencil at the same time – one day that man was going to go to far.

"Mr. Donovan." Matt began his next stop; he looked up to see the teacher staring at him, almost a smirk playing on his lips. "Would you like to take this opportunity to overcome your jock stereotype?"

Matt waved him off coolly, "It's okay, Mr. Tanner." Matt smirked to himself, "I'm cool with it." This definitely got a lot more laughs from the students, but they tried to hide it not wanting to face the wrath of Tanner.

Mr. Tanner finally looked over to Olivia finally with a smirk, thinking she wouldn't know the answer. Olivia never tried to participate in his classes, especially now that she was a vampire who could snap his neck at any wrong word. "Olivia." He drawled, grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

Olivia was still looking at him, not turning away. He didn't scare her.

"Surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's most historical events."

Olivia took a second to answer but she could feel everyone looking at her, it made her feel uneasy. "346 casualties unless you're counting the civilians too." She said in a stony tone.

Tanner smirk faltered only slightly, but it returned when she said the last part about civilians. "Well, it's a good thing you're not using your summer excuse for not catching up with the homework. But, of course, there were no civilian casualties in this battle."

Olivia was just about to retort with a stony glare when Stefan took over, defending her statement, "Actually I agree with her – there were 27 in total." Tanner's head snapped over to him, his eyes narrowing as Stefan continued, "Confederate soldiers fired on the church, believing it to be housing weapons."

Everyone in the room was now looking between Stefan and the teacher, and if Olivia didn't know better, she'd have though steam was flying out of Tanner's ears. She suddenly snorted under her breath at the thought, looking down to hide her smile – the tensing fist now loosening.

"But they were wrong," Stefan was staring at Tanner, almost daring the man to make a counter attack. "It was a night of a great loss."

Suddenly everything went silent.

"And you name is-?" Tanner narrowed his eyes, never seeing the kid before. If he had, the boy would have been thrown down a peg or two before today.