The Ride.

I stood there gaping at the dishes served at the table.

Kahit saan ako tumingin, those nasty orange vegetables are catching my eyes! They are freaking everywhere!

I swallowed hard. Umurong din ang gutom ko. All I wanted to do was run off to my room and never go out unless those orange things are not eliminated in the table!

"O hija. Umupo ka na."

Sapilitang tumingin ako kay mommy dahil hindi ko maalis ang tingin ko sa mga carrots na nasa pagkain. I caught a gleam in her eyes that faded the instant my eyes gazed there. 

I pursed my lips. 

Mom definitely knew I never like carrots. Na kapag kumakain, I prefer na walang kahit na anong carrots na nakahalo sa pagkain dahil nawawalan talaga ako ng gana. I threw my mom an accusing look that she just shrugged off like it was nothing.

"Seat, Dominica." It was dad.

Dread formed in my stomach as I realized that there's no way out of this.

Lumunok ako ng isang beses bago dahan-dahang umupo sa isa sa dalawang bakanteng upuan na nasa kanang bahagi ng mesa. I settled there and stared at the dishes. Pinagmasdan kong mabuti kung alin sa mga ulam ang walang masyadong carrots.

Pork Giniling with tomato sauce and... carrots.

Chapsui with lots of... carrots.

Chicken Afritada with...

carrots...

And not but not the least, ang dessert. Walang iba kundi...

Fucking carrot cake!!!

I cringed. My lips went into a thin line. 

Nag-angat ako ng tingin. 

As if on cue, agad nagsipag-iwasan ang mga ito at itinuloy ang kwentuhan sa isa't-isa kahit wala naman akong naririnig na kwentuhan simula ng umupo ako. I caught their amused faces before they masked it into something else. It was like they've been watching me while I was scanning the dishes with a face full of dread. A smirk made way to my peripheral vision. And I just knew where it came from.

I instantly turned my murderous glare at him. I gripped my fork tightly, imagining it was his neck I'm squeezing to death! I gritted my teeth. How dare he make fun of me?!  

No, Dominica. 

Stay cool..

Remember the smile?

I looked down at my plate, all the while willing my pursed lips to broke into a smile. But it didn't cooperate! Damn lips!

I closed my eyes then sighed heavily. I can do this. Just get some of those food and pick the carrots out. Easy!

I did just like that. 

I was so into it---- I mean picking the carrots out of my food and putting it at the side of my plate 

Then I heard her asking me.

What was her name again? 

I looked at her again. Not really quite sure what she said.

 "Huh?"

"You don't like carrots?" She asked innocently, like that of a child.

I almost rolled my eyes at her stupid question. 

Obvious ba? I mean, mag-aabala pa ba akong tanggalin sila isa't isa kung gusto ko silang kainin?

But no. Instead of answering her like a bitter bitch on a PMS, I smiled at her and nodded.