Chapter sixteen

“My gosh.” I whispered when we finally took a breath. “Just like last night.”

“What happened last night?” Edward asked confused. He tried sitting up and I wouldn’t let him.

“Please, just let me be selfish for another minute and I’ll explain.” I pleaded. What the hell was wrong with me? Begging for another minute alone with the Riddler? I’m officially screwed in the head.

“How could I be selfish and deny such a request?” he smiled as he kissed me again. He pulled away all to quickly smiling. “A minute is up.”

“Last night, when John drugged me, I had horrible nightmares.” I started to spill to him as if I had known him for years. “I saw my family die again, I saw Bruce try to kill me, I saw Austin cheating on me, and lastly I saw Harvey try to kill me; but you saved me.” I looked into his eyes with my own confused brown ones. “You saved me and told me things. Things about love and we basically had an amazing make-out session like just now.”

“And this was while you had fear toxin in you?” Edward asked surprised.

“Yes,” I nodded. “It was still in me pretty strongly. I don’t know if it’s true or just because of recent events, but I’m so scared of becoming like you and Joker and Harvey but at the same time I’d do anything to be with you.” I whispered. Edward Nigma, the Riddler, looked at me with such understanding in his eyes it scared me.

“You… you love me?” he asked confused.

“Now, I didn’t say that.” I stuttered.

“But you implied it.”

“Sure.” I said defeated. “I know I’m being stupid. You can kill me right now and no one would know. God this feels like a Twilight moment.” I buried my face in my hands.

“Yes, this does seem very stupid for you but I understand, because I feel the same way. It’s completely illogical for the fact that we hardly know each other personally and as you’ve plainly pointed out, I can kill you right now.” He sighed before continuing. “I really hate the idea of someone harming you, but I want you to prove to me that you can handle my superior brain and knowledge. You still have your tests to prove yourself, but I want more than anything for you to just… to just come to me.” He stroked my face.

“The ball’s in two days.” I whispered. “It’s at Wayne Enterprises. You’re coming to that right? Jonathan said you and the others wanted to see me.”

“Yes,” he smiled. “But I of course had to come see you tonight. You really shouldn’t be working in a place so low class.” He wrinkled his nose and then went back to being him.

“Are you sure you didn’t come here to abduct me and then make-out with me?” I teased and this time he rolled his eyes.

“So what if I did? It technically worked.”

“See, this is what I try to prove to people.” I said happily. “You and everyone else, you’re just people. There are times when you have normal conversations with other human beings. You’re not all ‘Kill, kill, kill.’”