Chapter one

“Katrina! You’re going to be late!” Alfred yelled as he pounded on the door to my room.

“Uhhhhh!!! Five more minutes!” I yelled throwing my pillow at him as he let himself in to open the blinds, revealing the all too bright sun.

“You said that an hour ago miss.” He laughed. I sat up and glared at him.

“It’s your fault for waking me up an hour early! I need my beauty sleep!” I said as I sat up and slid off of my unreasonably big bed. Living in a mansion will never be normal for me. I’ve lived here for eleven years and I am still amazed that it’s actually my house.

“Not true for a minute. You are a stunning young woman.” Alfred smiled as he set my breakfast tray down on my desk and laid a hand on my shoulder. “Enjoy school today Kat.”

“I’ll try.” I rolled my eyes. Like I was going to enjoy going to an establishment where adults think that they’re better than us because of some socially rigged population. I went to my, again, oversized closet to pick out what I was going to wear today. I settled with a pair of dark jeans, black converse, and a strapless corset top that was covered by my famous Oscar the Grouch hoodie. I looked down at my breakfast tray to see Alfred had done the whole, ‘Oh my gosh you’re starving’ breakfast. I smiled and grabbed a pancake as I walked out my room. Bruce Wayne, my godfather, would not approve of me wearing that kind of shirt. I didn’t necessarily agree with wearing the top either but I had to because of my job; which he doesn’t know about either. Come to think about it, Bruce didn’t’ know too much about me. My guardian was far too busy to notice how I was always out every night till about eleven o’clock on the school week and sometimes four on the weekends. My job is simple; mix drinks at an underground club/bar. The place was mainly full people who were considered outcasts or mobsters. So it’s not the safest place but that’s fine with me; I know how to take care of myself. I did have to learn at an early age that there are monsters in your closet.

I finished getting dressed and stuffing my school bag full of homework that I never do. Right as I walked down stairs I grabbed my iPhone and headphones to block out the chaos that is a high school bus.

“Katrina.”

I turned around as saw my ‘father’ figure. Bruce Wayne was defiantly an attractive man, but he was just too busy for any woman or any person he was supposed to care for.

“Bruce.” I said as I grabbed an apple and headed for the door. One pancake five minutes ago was not going to cut it today.

“Katrina, please wait.” He said walking down the staircase towards my while trying to fix his tie.  “Look, I want to apologize.”

“What?” I looked at him like he was crazy. What did he do that he has to apologize for?

“I’m sorry I’m not here more often. Sorry I haven’t been around to… to be a parent to you.” He honestly tried to apologize for being himself. Wow.

“You know what, don’t worry about it. You don’t need to apologize to me for being yourself. There are some things you’re good at, like getting girls, and then there are things you’re not so good at, like being a father. Don’t apologize. If you want me to… I don’t know… take you in as a father, then just act like one; don’t apologize if you won’t change.” I said with a blank look on my face.

“Kat, please.” He said trying to get me to look at him again; and I fell for it.

“What? What do you want?” I asked.

“I want to just be part of your life again.” He said plainly.

“Then just be there.” I smiled and actually meant it.

“I’ll try.” He walked over and gave me a hug.

“Guess that’s the closest I’ll get.” I rolled my eyes and walked out of the house leaving a somewhat smirking Bruce Wayne.

That’s the kind of relationship we had; he’ll always ‘try’ to be there. Some people wonder why I hope he’ll actually try ‘next time.’ It probably has something to do with the fact that we would both go out of our way to help each other out. He had, after all, given me a place to live. Another thing that made it easier to live there was Richard. Richard was apparently taken in the same way I was; only he was older when he lost his family. I guess that was Bruce’s soft spot huh? Anyway, Richard was like my older brother. He knew what I was feeling all the time and knew how to handle every situation. Unlike Bruce, he tolerated my friends. Bruce didn’t like our.... unique, fascination. Richard had been gone for the past few weeks doing something for Bruce. The two of them, although they argued, were inseparable. You could tell the two of them knew something that not everyone else did. But whatever, everyone has their secrets.

I turned on my phone to see a text from none other than Richard.

Hey! How’s life goin?

I smiled as I typed in a short response.

Eh.

I turned on my music and put on my headphones. The soundtrack for Moulin Rouge was on and I was currently listening to El Tango De Roxanne. Right as Ewan McGregor started to sing his part the bus pulled up to the gates of the manor and the old doors opened. Just then, as I stepped onto the bus, I entered the hell that is high school.