Chapter fifteen

I sat up in my bed so fast that I jarred my shoulder and cried out in pain. I was covered from head to foot in sweat and my sheets were soaked. I heard running in the hallway and the door burst open.

“Katrina? What happened?” Gordon asked me, gun ready.

“It, it was just a bad dream.” I said.

“Kat, you’re soaking wet. What could’ve been that bad of a dream?” He asked putting the back of his hand against my head sighing. “Well you don’t have a fever.”

“What happened in here?” A doctor asked as he came to look at this machine that had papers strewn everywhere. “What happened?!” he yelled to an assistant while showing him the papers. They scurried out of the door and yelled for help; next thing I know I’m being stuck with all different types of needles and it’s a fight to stay conscious.

“What happened doctor?” Gordon asked.

“Who injected her this afternoon?” the doctor called out in the hallway receiving no response. I knew he wouldn’t get one, Harley and Jonathan left hours ago if I had to guess.

“What happened?” Gordon asked once more.

“Someone injected something into her blood stream. It’s a miracle she’s alive with all the fluxes in her brain and cardiac waves. She should have died two hours ago. I don’t know why her machines didn’t go off, but the good news is whatever went through her system has left now.” The doctor sighed. “This is just too much for my employees to be dealing with. If Bruce Wayne finds out he could shut us down in seconds.”

“Don’t worry I won’t let him.” I said gaining their attention finally. “And you won’t find the nurse who injected me. They left hours ago is my guess.”

“What are you talking about Katrina?” Gordon asked stepping closer.

“Some shady looking nurse came in and injected my IV thing. Next thing I know I’m getting tired and she heads out the back door.” I lied easily.

“Katrina, are you sure?”

“Pretty sure.” I smiled. “Can I just sleep now?”

“It’s twelve o’clock noon kid.” Gordon smiled.

“Okay I’ll stay awake.” I sighed.

“You’re discharged as of two hours ago.” The doctor said waving his hands in the air as he and the others left.

“Well that went well.” I sighed to myself as I started to move to the edge of my bed before Gordon physically stopped me. “What?”

“Don’t lie, who injected your IV?” he said sternly. I stared at him for a couple minutes before caving and telling the truth.

“Harley Quinn.” I said shortly and he punched the wall.

“Damn it Katrina. Why didn’t you call me?”

“Because there was some sleep drug mixed in the toxin and I couldn’t stay awake but for a few seconds to comprehend what was happening.” I said defensively.

“That explains all why you were screaming for about ten minutes straight. I had to run halfway across the hospital when they called me on the phone. You had been freaking out for hours and started to scream. All of a sudden you got quiet and the police outside your doors were getting worried, that’s when you woke up and screamed.” Gordon gave me the run down of what happened while I was seeing my friends betray me and my family kill me.

“Ya, it was some pretty thick stuff.” I muttered standing up and testing my balance. “Can I go home? Please?”

“Of course. Take your phone with you though.” Gordon reached on the table besides me and handed me my phone. “And I’m serious about calling me.” He smiled and grabbed my elbow, helping me walk for a bit before I saw Bruce and Richard waiting for me.