Chapter nine

--Bruce’s POV—

Katrina slammed the door shut and then it began.

“What the hell were you thinking?! Bruce! How could you let her go in the first place?!” Richard was yelling at me.

“Richard, welcome home, but I don’t have time for this. I have to get ready and I’m probably going to have to face Gotham’s most ruthless reporters today.” I sighed as I walked up the stairs to my room and passed Alfred.

“The press? Of some more of Gotham’s models?” Richard shouted back.

“Doesn’t affect you either way.” I yelled down.

“Master, not to tell you how to run your life or anything, but you should be a bit more careful.” Alfred said as he handed me a shirt.

“What are you talking about Alf?” I asked concerned.

“A shirt sir. If your goddaughter thought to look you’d have to answer for all those scars and bruises wouldn’t you?” he raised his eyebrows. I looked down and saw that he was right; I’d definitely have to be more careful next time.

“Bruce!” Richard yelled once more. I looked over the banister to see his face was full of worry.

“What?”

“We’re not going to tell her are we?”

“No, we can’t.” I whispered. She couldn’t know that we were Batman and Robin. That would put her into so much danger. I couldn’t loose her like I lost Rachel.

“And Bruce,” Richard called once more. “It’s not her fault or yours. Good luck with the reporters. Just try to keep her past out of the news as much as possible. I’m picking her up from school today okay?”

“Sure.” I nodded. “She probably won’t want to see me anyway.” I groaned. Just when I was trying to make a dent at this father stuff this happens and I’ll be pushed even farther from her. I’m just not cut out for this. It’s so much easier to be a playboy with no cares.

“Bruce, your meeting’s in twenty minutes. Go shower, you smell.” Richard teased. I smiled and walked into my room. I’m glad he’s here; he always knows what to do when it comes to Katrina. He knows how to treat her and he knows what will calm her down and make her smile. Her father had always teased me on how I’d be a horrible father and he was so glad his little girl could be independent. But now I wish that I did know what I was doing. I could barely pull off Bruce Wayne and Batman separately. Being a father is just too much.

I sighed and grabbed one of my suits for the press conference that had been called on behalf of the break out and Katrina being there. As I turned on the shower and the hot water steamed the bathroom one thought was seriously bugging me.

What if they reporters find out about Kat’s parents? Worse, what if they ask me about it.... Or her…

---Kat’s POV---

I got on the bus today and it was silent. Well, let me clarify that. When the bus pulled up it was loud like usual; when I got on it fell silent. I looked at the bus driver and she offered me a smile, which I returned. I walked to my normal seat in the back of the bus and put on my headphones. The whispered started immediately and I just shut my eyes and turned my music louder. I was listening to Love, Save the Empty by Erin McCarley. I listen to all kinds of music and this just happened to be what was next in my library. The bus pulled up to school and I never before saw the kids run off as fast as they did. I walked my way down the aisle and when I approached the bus driver she stopped me.