Chapter 31

We had arrived at The Zone around six thirty and people were starting to fill in. When we got to the door I saw Jeff there turning people away at the door. When we got there he stopped us.

“And just where do you think you’re going?” he asked gruffly.

“Inside to dance.” Selina said seductively.

“I don’t think so ladies. Only select few tonight. Bosses orders.” Jeff smirked at Selina’s frowning face.

“Even for old friends?” I asked stepping up front smirking. “Come on Jeffy, let us in for a bit please?” I said in the fake Irish accent that I would use when it was only us. He looked me up and down before smiling and attacking me in a bear hug.

“Everyone in Gotham is looking for you! Where in the hell have you been?” he laughed and set me down.

“Hostage. But shh.” I said holding a finger to my lips. “The girls just wanna have some fun and the cops really are a bother to me.”

“I knew you were crazy, but avoiding the cops and hanging with them.” He sighed and looked at the girls behind me.

“Look, one night? Please?” I begged.

“You? Anytime. Them… tonight’s fine. Don’t you get yourself hurt you hear me?” he called as we all went through.

“Don’t worry. I can take care of myself.” I called out smiling at him. We instantly mixed into the crowd. The girls definitely knew what they were doing but I just felt lost. I never was one to go out dancing; so I just walked over to the bar to see it was unoccupied. Something told me that I needed to stay hidden, but I just couldn’t help myself. I climbed back behind the counter and started mixing whatever drink came to mind. Soon I had a crowd of my own gathered around the wooden countertop.

“Hey, she reminds me a lot of Katrina… The girl who used to be here.”

I heard a bunch of similar stories as I worked.

“Hi, I’m Erin, pleased to meet all of you.” I smiled and put their simple minds to ease. I just continued mixing and that’s when I heard a familiar voice.

“Hey Erin!” I looked up to see Gavin, Molly, and another girl walking over to the bar. “I didn’t know you worked here!” he smiled and so did his sister. The new girl just stared at me.

“Hello Erin.” Molly smiled at me. “Don’t talk to her. But she’s nice. Silence idiot!”

“Nice to see you Molly and Gavin. I don’t believe I met you yet.”

“I’m Tessa.” She smiled. She had short black hair, combat boots, and a black dress on. Her hand was interlocked with Gavin’s and I smiled.

“Nice to meet you.” I smiled and poured them all a drink.