Chapter 25

--Dream—

 I was standing in front of the broken bodies of my parents and friends. I was my sixteen-year-old self, seeing both tragedies. I backed up trying to escape all the blood that was escaping their bodies and coming towards me.

“No, no, no.” I whispered as I hit a wall. I looked behind me to see that it was in fact a wall of stone. When I looked at the ground again the blood was mere inches away from my bare feet. I got on my tiptoes and that’s when it finally reached me. The blood crawled all the way up my white dress I was wearing. When the blood reached my face it made its way into my mouth and nose, drowning me.

I woke up sputtering in the middle of a familiar shopping area in downtown Gotham. There were people who were just walking around, completely ignoring me. That’s when I saw the Batman come towards me. I got up and ran in the other direction. No matter the fact that he was the good guy, he scared me. I wasn’t looking but I ran straight into the arms of Richard.

“Katrina.” He smiled down at me. “My pretty Katrina.” He whispered stroking my hair. “Why are you running?”

“Batman was chasing me.” I stuttered. Richard just laughed and turned me around. “Do you hear that Bruce? She’s scared of Batman.” I saw him laughing as he removed the mask. Bruce Wayne was Batman.

“But… how?” I whispered as he approached.

“What do you mean? You never figured it out?” Bruce smiled at me. “Every night we were out, Batman got someone else. Why didn’t Batman and Robin save you at the party?”

“It was because we were on stage.” Richard whispered in my ear. I just stared at them wide eyed and tried to escape. Richard held me tighter and I started to scream.

I didn’t feel him anymore. Looking around I saw that I was in an alley somewhere and it was raining.

“Hush little baby, don’t say a word.”

I turned around to see the man who attacked me two nights ago.

“Who are you!? What do you want with me?!” I yelled as I backed up against the wall.

“Momma’s gonna buy you a mocking bird,” he kept singing as he approached me with an evil smirk on his face. He was going to kill me… or worse. My hand hit metal and I turned around to see a ladder. I jumped on the bottom rung and started climbing. The man laughed and I felt the ladder shake as he too got on. My heart was racing and my hands were sweating. I was still barefoot, but was wearing shorts and a black shirt. My foot would occasionally slip and I would climb faster causing my attacker to laugh. I finally reached the top of the building and ran to the far edge. I had to escape; I had to get away.

“Good evening.” I heard his rough voice say behind me. I spun around and lost my footing I was falling over the side of what was probably a twenty-story building and he stood there laughing. I was screaming and I felt someone grab me.

I shot up off the pillows and nearly butted heads with a very worried looking Dr. Crane.