Chapter Thirty Six

Callie wasn't with me when I awoke, remnants of spare bedding the proof she had been there at all. I didn't mind her up and leaving without ceremony though, Callie probably had a hundred and one things to do and wasn't one for saying farewell. 

I stretched and yawned the last dregs of sleep away, the slight ache in my bones telling that the worst of the poison's grip was over. I arose with a telling rumbling in my stomach and surveyed the scene. Callie and I had slept on the floor, my bed too small for two, and now I lay in the midst of a marshmallow obstacle course.

Quite gracefully, I made my way to the door and continued on toward hot tea and toast. I had stomached soup the day before but nothing much else and now Christine Evans was hungry with a vengeance. 

With the notion of food spurring me on, as it would anyone of sense, I bounded into the kitchen and then paused in front of my audience. 

"Someone's been sniffing the glue," Callie ridiculed, stirring her cup of tea and caressing a mouth-watering slice of golden buttered toast.

"I thought you were gone," I said, overwhelmingly glad she had stayed to keep me company in solitude. 

"Just like that? Without saying goodbye? Chris I wouldn't do that to you...everyone else maybe but not you." Callie acted hurt from my rashness, her pout perfected from oodles of practice.

"Well it's not like you have much time in Edinburgh and why spend it with me?" I argued. The kettle was freshly boiled and Callie had left out the bread and butter for me; she knew me all too well. Rehearsed enough, I made my breakfast on auto pilot, giving Callie my full attention.

"Yes because every second I spend with you makes me want to gag," she teased.

"Shut up, you know what I mean." I stirred the tea bag in my mug, hiding my grin. 

"Not completely. I'd rather spend my time here than alone in the apartment. Mum and Dad are in and out all the time and I'd hardly get time with one of them – let alone both." Callie took a sip of tea. Besides Chris, how am I supposed to check up on you properly if I'm not around?" Her pearly white teeth were hidden as she smirked behind her mug. 

"That is not funny and you know it. Tom didn't send you here solely to do a routine check up on me. If he was that worried about me he'd come himself," I argued. Callie nodded, considering this point. 

"Yes but remember what we were talking about last night. Tom is a coward in the face of his own feelings and would rather wait until he is wanted," Callie reminded me, no jokes or laughs intended.

"Well by sending letters and sending you he isn't doing himself many favours. I think that's one of the reasons I haven't replied is because we both need to let go of something, even if it's not the same thing." I buttered my toast and tried to remember I was talking to Callie and not the back stabbing, pain in the ass that was Dr. Collins.

"You have a point," Callie agreed, taking a larger that necessary bite out of her toast.

"Could your mouth get any bigger?" I chuckled. With breakfast in hand, I joined her at the table. 

"Trust me that was nothing. I can fit about twenty marshmallows in my mouth and still say fluffy bunnies with perfect diction," Callie bragged. I wasn't surprised she'd had the most expensive acting, singing and dancing lessons in the whole of Ireland. 

"So where are you going next?" I asked cautiously, changing the subject and trying not to suggest I wanted rid of her.

"I was thinking about going to see Justin for a couple of days and then maybe go back to Mum and Dad's for the last week to see if I have a snowballs chance in Hell of seeing one of them for more than five lousy minutes." With great ferocity, Callie tore another bit of toast.