Chapter Twenty Six

The absence of Anya almost over shadowed everything that had been horrific and emotionally exhausting that morning.  According to Kieran she had left just as soon as I'd gotten out of the car, a bemusing move on her part considering she would have had Kieran all to herself. 

At least she wasn't predictable.  

Without Anya around, Kieran was carefree and considerate, his attentions not demanded in two directions. He held my hand, making sure to be gentle as the wrapped around the bandages. He had been immediately concerned at the sight of my hands but he'd considerately listened to my narrative of the visit I had had. Kieran couldn't put his finger on what might have happened but even offering to take some of the burden from me by investigating the matter was enough to make me smile, and truthfully so. 

But just as soon as the car journey had began, it was over and I knew this was where we had to depart ways. We pulled up to the curb and Kieran's hand left mine. 

"I'll walk you in," Kieran offered as I began to climb out of the car. I grinned as I watched him speed round the car and extended his hand to me. I rested my hand in his and he picked me up so we stood, faces almost touching. He wrapped his arm around my waist and guided me up the front stairs and into the flat. I trusted him to lead me to the flat door safely while I rested my head against his shoulder.

"My dad's regaining some of his memory," I told him softly.

"You don't seem pleased," he noted, puzzled by the vacant expression on my face.

"No, no I am. I think it's brought back memories for me, ones I thought I'd left behind... but despite that, I have to ask myself who is responsible and what price these memories are being offered for." Kieran rubbed his thumbs across the back of my hand. 

"I will do what I can to get to the bottom of this Chris," Kieran said. "I wish I could take away the concern you are inevitably feeling but as long as it's in my power I will keep both you and your father safe." I nodded not completely reassured considering how pressing Anya could be on Kieran's time.  

But I needed to believe in him because what more was there?

I dug my hand into my pocket and retrieved my key.

"I'll get that."

"No it's fine," I said; conscious of the bandages that hugged my hands. I shoved the key in the lock and tried to turn it, hurting my hand in the process. I hissed in pain. Kieran's hand carefully reached for mine, unfurling my cadged fingers. 

"I wish you would take care of yourself," Kieran confessed, sounding almost winded by his own concern. He gathered me in his arms a if knowing this was the one place I knew I was untouchable.

"Chris?" Mum called from somewhere in the flat. I held Kieran tighter, inhaling his wintery fragrance. How I longed for that history classroom where he was nothing more than an invisible, handsome boy; nothing more than a dream. 

And a stalker. 

"I'm here Mum," I replied, still in Kieran's embrace,holding to every part of it.  We both lent in for a farewell kiss but to no avail as Mum's footsteps approached. Without ceremony she opened the front door wide, letter in one hand and charming smile on her face. I couldn't see how she couldn't see how awkward this was. Kieran rested his head on top of mine and muttered something. 

"Could it not have waited Mum?" I groaned. She glanced from Kieran to me, still not making the connection. 

"This letter came for you this morning, I thought you'd want it directly." She presented the envelope and raised a brow. "Since when did you get post from America?"