Chapter Four

Having imposed a delightful death threat on my mother, I found myself subjected to a fate arguably worse than that of eternal slumber.

After all, it was a family of Indigo's that I was about to become acquainted with.

How could anyone even attempt to prepare for that?

Questions of such pessimism raced through my head, one after the other until I was rubbing my temples. I wanted to know if they'd like me...I was so plain. And next to Kieran? I might as well have ceased to have existed.

But then I remembered the first I knew of Indigo Boy. Once upon a time he had been all arrogance and darkness and couldn't decide if this settled me or not. Kieran and I hand't exactly been the best of friends at first what with "jerk" being his default setting. Still, at least he'd grown on me, unlike his sister.

Sophia had taken a strong dislike to me which would have had at least a little influence on the rest of the Indgios, right?

In any case, my involvement with Red wasn't exactly the most redeemable qualities either. I had caused trouble before even stepping across the Indigo threshold.

"Good one, Evans."

I balled myself up in the front seat of the Audi, too nervous to do much else. If I wasn't fiddling with the seatbelt I was gnawing at what was left of my nails; Beth would have a fit.

The car cruised across the city, mischief in the engines roar.  Everything about the beast reflected it's master:  powerful, fast, strong, fierce and undeniably over the top.

What was I doing here? Why was I in this flashy car with the flashy boyfriend and the air getting thin and...and... I reached my fingers for the door handle.

"Breathe, Evans. Just breathe."

"I may not be in your mind Christine but it's still clear enough for me to read," Kieran said suddenly. He accelerated as we reached a stretch of empty road, allowing the mechanical beast a run. My outstretched hand shot from hovering over the door handle to the edge of the car seat.

"Read anything interesting?" I replied, my mind on other things such as the extremely illegal speed we were racing at. Kieran chuckled and swerved through the busying traffic. It seemed the Audi was also a obnoxious as well as attractive..just like it's master.

"Well I can tell you're worried about what my family will think of you when there is absolutely no need." Kieran licked the wit off of his lips. "So to answer your question I'm going to have to say no, not really."

"Yes well...I'm not a Playboy," I mumbled. Kieran laughed, loud enough to have burst my eardrums.

"No, no I'm serious. What's the big deal about meeting my family?" I sat back against the seat, still cradling myself. Kieran was right, in some small annoying sense I was making a big deal out of this.

I was so desperate for their approval because it would make Kieran happy and that was what it came down to.

"I suppose you're right it's not a big deal."

"But?" Kieran probed, not accepting my conclusive answer.

"But if they don't like me what happens to us?" I plucked a thread from my skirt and twisted it in my fingertips.  "I mean I know what it's like to have someone new on the scene, someone who may come across like they're trying to replace someone or...or change things."

My words spilled out of my mouth before I had the chance to stop myself. I knew I was talking about Ross.

"For one thing Chris, if they, for some bazaar reason, don't like you it won't change us. You must know that."