Chapter Nineteen

Two figures stood in hallway shadows, giving no clue as to their calling in the middle of the night. I gripped the door in fright, not sure whether to open it wider or fasten it shut. The darkness concealed them so well I needed to dare to step closer though every instinct told me not to.  

It was when gathered the courage to really look that I realised both strangers had indigo eyes alert with urgency. 

You're OK Evans...for now. 

Needing no further invitation the indigos hurried into the house. I retreated backwards, made uneasy by there disregard for civilised visiting hours. 

"Yae need tae come wi us, noo!" Mack insisted, grabbing my arm with unrelenting intent. I glanced from Mack to Jessica quizzically which they returned with sinister glowers. 

"My daughter isn't going anywhere with you," Ross challenged, taking me by my shoulder and daring Mack to defy him. 

Ross was a braver man than most by shaping up to Mack - the giant was twice his size at least. But Mack didn't appear fazed by Ross's chivalry - he was too busy trying to get me out of the door. If Mack had wanted, he could have taken me without breaking a sweat and it only concerned me further that could see him considering it. 

"Mack, what's going on?" I questioned, alarmed by their militancy in my capture. He dropped my arm, realising he was only panicking me and fuelling suspicion in my parents. Mack slipped Ross and Mum a speculative glare before questioning Jessica who I hadn't even noticed appear in the doorway. She nodded but it did nothing to stop Mack assessing my parents once again.   

"Its fine Ross, Mum...I can handle this."

Can you be sure?  

"I don't appreciate them barging in a at such an hour Christine," Ross murmured, his eyes fixed furiously on Mack. 

"We are truly sorry Mr Evans; we wouldn't inconvenience you at such an hour if it wasn't a matter of great importance," Jessica explained. I didn't need to hear the worry in her voice - it was written plainly across her face.  "If you'll let us, we need to borrow Christine for a couple of hours at most." Ross did not seem taken with Jessica's humility, forming an argument the moment Jessica fell silent. But he was stopped by an hand on his shoulder. 

"Ross, let her go," Mum said, watching me carefully. In my face she saw fear and trusted in the determination she saw through it. 

"I don't like this Vanessa, not in the slightest." Ross gave a final warning scowl to Mack before storming off into his room. Mum followed Ross with tired eyes before casting them on Jessica and Mack. 

"Keep her safe." Not one of us could doubt that there was threat in my mother's words but she said nothing more and departed after her husband.  

Unsure whether to be relieved or afraid, I turned enquiringly to Mack and Jessica.

"What's going on?" I demanded in a hushed whisper.

"No time to explain and not here, we need to go, now," Jessica replied, slipping out of the flat as silently as she'd entered it. I grabbed the keys from the hall table, slipped on my battered trainers and hurried out the door with Mack as escort. 

We all clambered into the Audi R8 and sped off into starlit city. I sat in the middle, leaning my head through gap in the front seats to interrogate the indigo-eyed thieves in the night.

"Now is someone going to tell me what's going on?" Jessica and Mack consulted each other with solemn frowns.  Mack nodded before taking a sharp turn on a corner and propelling me sideways.