Chapter Thirteen

Some people look like models at four thirty in the morning, I look like something ungodly.

It would take (according to Andrea's calculations) seven hours and two minutes to arrive at our destination.

That's a hell of a lot of grown up girl bonding time. 

Mum had consented to the road trip but why and how I didn't know. Jessica had taken care of the whole thing and all that had been asked of me way to accept it. In fact I hadn't even  seen my mum to apologies and I could only owe that to knowing how skilful we had become in avoiding one another. I was planning to muster something heartfelt to say that would suffice as an apology when we finally stopped hiding from one another.

So far, I had nothing. 

I grabbed my hoodie from its crumpled state on the floor and pulled it over my top. As I forced my head through hole I heard the roar of an engine. It appeared fast cards had no consideration for those who liked their slumber at four thirty.  I righted my jumper and checked for anything I might have forgotten. Of greatest concern was collecting my phone from my bedside table, it was my only connection to Dad and it was essential. 

I didn't want to keep everyone waiting so as soon as I secured my phone in my pocket, I gathered up my bag and sprinted from the room. My keys gleamed as if to beckon me from hallway table.  As silently as I could I picked them up and slotted them into the keyhole. I was being ridiculously cautious but no was not the time to have my heart to heart with my mother. 

I hurried down the stairwell having locked the door, new butterflies swarming in my stomach. I was more than aware of how strange the prospect of this road trip was and it unsettled me. Still, I would take a car full of Indigos over Devon any day. 

The Land Rover LRX was a panther in the dark, its headlights bright and passengers concealed behind blackened panes of glass. Like all of Kieran's cars it was imposing and probably unnecessarily expensive. While I did not wish to appear impressed, it was written all over my face.

The driver's door opened and Jessica, looking like a model at four thirty in the morning, slid out.

"Sorry it's a bit of a beast but we thought you'd like to travel without feeling... claustrophobic," Jessica explained, stroking the masculine curve of the panther. I wondered if Jessica knew she could have had a respectable career in car modelling. Kindly she opened the door behind the driver's and waited for me to literally clamber into the thing.

The interior was tan leather and well kept. There were no discarded wrappers, forgotten console, sticky juice patches or cheap toys littering the interior.

This car has never have a child set foot in it. 

I may not have been a ten year old with a cup full of juice but I was convinced that wouldn't stop me making a stain and ruining the upholstery.

You're not helping yourself  here Evans, calm down.  

"Are you coming or not?" Jessica questioned teasing, re-gesturing at the seat awaiting me. I nodded a little out of sync with myself.

"I'm still half asleep, I think." I yawned. 

Still half asleep? Trying not to puke more like. 

 Strolling past Jessica, I climbed into the car, dignified not quite being the word for my ascent.

Andrea was sat in the front, her knees pulled up to head height and a notebook resting on them. Her pen glided purposefully across the page though her scribbles were legible from where I was seated. When she heard the click of my seatbelt she gave me a general wave and returned to her writing. Too afraid to be sociable myself, I turned to look out the opposite window. Instead of seeing the other side of the street two dark, loathing eyes stared back at me. I choked a little, grappling at my seatbelt.