Chapter Fourteen

The house was everything I had expected to be making it the only predictable thing there was about the peculiar Indigo Boy. It was an ostentatious dwelling; a dominant master of the grounds it sat upon. In every way it looked plucked out of a storybook which was only right as nothing of what Kieran was, was unlike that of something from the darkest of fairytales. 

"So this is where Indigo Boy grew up huh," I remarked aloud, overwhelmed even though I hadn't yet dared to venture beyond the car. 

"Yes and no, it was burnt down after the plague and Kieran roamed in isolation for a while. After he found Vince they decided to have a permenant residency and so he returned to raise his home from the ashes," Jessica explained, her casualness a testement to the fact she had no idea that what she was saying was rather difficult to process. "This is home sweet home really," she confessed and in both her content smile and Andrea's signing, I knew this was where they sought sanctuary from the fate of mission. Sophia, as ever, was unreadable and occupied her thoughts with her nails.   

"Would you like to look around?"Jessica translated while Andrea eyed me suggestively. I questioned the feeling within me, the something that deeply attracted me to Kieran's home, something that led me to believe I could belong there.

We all got out of the car and I stood, alone, to gaze up at the mansion.

"You would think you'd never seen a house before." Sophia snorted, her sharp eyes cutting beneath her dark hair. I didn't fail to notice the look she received from Andrea and Jessica even if they did nothing more that roll off her.

"The house is called An Cala, though once burnt down by a fire it was never allowed to lose its identity - Kieran made sure of it." Jessica gestured in welcome and I took it as invitation to proceed up the stairs with her. 

"What does it mean?" I asked, intimidate by even the grandness of the staircase and columns that stood to attention beyond them. 

"It's Gaelic for harbour, jeez what does he see in you..," Sophia sneered, shrugging off Andrea's warning hand. "I'm going to find Roslyn." She advanced up the stairs and stormed through the great front doors. That longing to belong that had taken me surprised withered as the echoes of the door's slamming rang between the stone pillars.

Jessica was livid. 

"Sometimes I just...she just...hmph." 

I surveyed the rolling ground as though Sophia's harshness hadn't bothered me but Jessica and Andrea could not have missed the reddish bloom of embarrassment in my cheeks. Still, I anchored my sights onto the top of a fountain, prisoner in walls of foliage that presented an enticing maze. If I should need to run, at least I had someone to get lost in. 

"Andrea says that you could stay out here all day if you prefer but you'll probably find what's inside more to your liking." I abandoned the instinct to run and turned to Jessica and Andrea. There was nothing in their faces to suggest I had anything to fear.  I followed their lead up to the front door. concious I was holding my breath but unable to stop myself.

Jessica and Andrea walked worn paths into the house, confidence in each stride, while I looked for something of a path of my own to follow. This was unfamiliar and dangerous territory and I had never wished more so than then to have Kieran guiding me in. 

"The floor won't swallow you whole you know," Jessica promised from the doorway. I smiled weakly not realising what a big deal I seemed to be making of the simple affair. I drew breath and took an easy step forward, then another and another.

In the warm light of the entrance there was a sweeping marble stairway, reaching its arms wide to the floor above and welcoming all those who were curious to enter in. I could imagine princesses and princes gliding down it in royal splendour, dressed in expensive gowns and jackets.