Chapter Nine

The shift must have happened in nothing but seconds and still I saw it. Everything I could feel ached but it didn't matter, not then. The paralysis that imprisoned me was all because of that moment where I saw deepest red.

Those who were spectators could not have seen it, could not have anticipated the danger I was in. But though their ignorance demanded explaination, I couldn't find it within myself it to be embarrassed. I was too busy attempting to steady my breathing to be considerate of others. Even in the need to not pass out, I was too far gone to consider anything that wasn't the red eyes that eclipsed everything.

Would he dare to provoke me in such a public way?

Stupid question, Evans.

"Get off me," I wheezed, trying not to alert too immediately that something was wrong. He was unpredictable and I wasn't.

The boy with telling eyes licked his lips, perspiration glossing his new face. I wondered if his primal instincts thirsted for the blood coarsing through my veins, a parched creature of the night.

"Get off of me." I didn't know how long we challenged one another or why no one came to my rescue. All I could do was struggle beneath him and wait for him to make his move. It was no coincedence that he was here and I anticipated purpose with a disgustingly intense desire.

"What do you want with me?"

The boy moved closer, bringing his curled lips to my ear, his breath taunting the hairs that rose in objection.

"I believe she asked you to get off of her." The boy was too late to offer me explaination as he was forced to his feet. Why was that so disappointing?
The background noise of hustle and bustle and an air of uncertain concern returned. How was I only just noticing it?

I blinked in the face of the sun that the red eyed boy had eclipsed.

What the hell was going on?

"Chris, are you alright?" Beth assumed a halo as she stepped into view and peered down at me. Nodding, I propped myself up and observed the scene before me.

I almost managed to smile if not for my curiousities complaint.

Jessica held the disguised boy in her grip, indigo eyes flashing dangerously. I could almost taste her fury as she whispered something in his ear. The boy growled and shrugged her off, his once red eyes never straying from my questioning gaze.

Though not his face, I saw Devon on every inch of it; the dark fire in his dark eyes and cruel twist of his lip left me anything but naive.

Jude and Beth hooked my arms and hoisted me to my feet. I steadied myself and marked the unfamilar but all too recognizable boy. He was accessing his next move, calculating my own.

"Next time have a bit of consideration for those around you," Jessica sneered from behind him, tall in his shadow. "I have a right mind to report you, find yourself some dignity, starting by putting on a shirt." Jessica gave him a look so cold I was surprised he didn't shiver.

He ignored her and skulked away, his face shifting once more (telling me I was mentally still stable). The group of burly boys he had adopted into his act didn't welcome him back into their midst - in fact they all but vanished in the wake of his failure.

Though I paid her no immediate attention as I watched after Devon, Jessica's summery aroma surrounded me. I was safe for the time being even if I was still clueless to Devon's intentions.

Jessica bundled me into the crook of her arm, both her chill and comforting gesture catching me off guard. She inspected Jude, Beth and Mandy as the crowd dispersed.