Chapter Twenty Seven

You could not have faulted Ross' enthusiasm for picnic basket making but even the most expert of picnic craftsmen would have been put out by the emptiness of our kitchen cupboards. So I had trekked to the store, my measly budget clutched in one hand and determination coursing through me.

I would make my sandwiches enough to make things right.

On my walk back, shopping bag clutching in my hand emptied of money, it occurred to me there was another flaw in my plan, another knock to my determination. 

How the hell do you expect to get there Evans?

The picnic was supposed to feel spontaneous and romantic and that wasn't a phone call ringing up Kieran to help him realise my plan. Problem solving wasn't exactly my strong suit. 

Trudging up the stairs, I heard the footfalls of someone coming down. I peered through the railings and watched as Ross's shoes came into vision. 

"Ross?" 

He craned over the banister, his expression telling of a man all too pleased with himself. 

"Just the person, I've got an exciting development." Ross wiggled his eyebrows and gestured for me to meet him at the flat door. I rolled my eyes, aware I was probably going to burst his bubble when relaying the fact I had no way to get the picnic, let alone myself top Carberry Hill.   

"So, should I be sitting down for this?" I questioned, placing my hand on the door handle. Ross folded his arms and chuckled. 

"I wish it feigning worthy, that I would pay to see Chris." I shook my head and urged the door open. "No, I've just been speaking to Mrs Langford." 

"Oh?" I replied. I kicked off my shoes and headed with my shopping bag to the kitchen. Ross followed after me, flicking on the kitchen light switch. 

"She said she would drive you to Kieran's tomorrow, I realised it was logistically rather difficult considering we don't own a car and its a bit of a journey."

Well then, problem solved. Ross was quite the miracle worker it seemed. 

"Is she sure? It's quite far out of town," I said, emptying the groceries onto the counter. 

"Well the catch is waiting until tomorrow but she thought she would use it as a opportunity to visit  her daughter in Tranent, it's only a little bit out of her way." I couldn't argue with that. "I'll ask your mother to arrange her some flowers as a thank you, much as it'll take a grueling interrogation for your mother to believe they aren't for a mistress."

I paused as I unpacked the tomato from the bag. I bit my lip and turned towards Ross. I was conscious of every pace across room and the strange feeling of wrapping my arms around Ross' scrawny frame. I placed my head on his chest as he contemplated putting his arms around me. 

"Thank you Ross, for everything." He brought his hands to my back and rested his head on my hair. 

"You're welcome...kiddo." 

* * * *

And that was how I ended up sitting in Mrs Langford's car was a picnic basket in my lap. 

The lady herself had apparently been to bingo again, telling me the set on numbers she'd won with twice over. I breathed in the familiar smell of minty freshness and the well loved car I known she'd had for as long as I had lived on Oxford Street. 

Mrs Langford told me about her daughter and her third grandchild being on the way; she was sure it was a boy. 

She was so wonderfully normal.