ONE

ONE [NEW]

Brylee Cunnings

Tears stream down my face. There's no going back. "Dad, please, try and reconsider with the council," I beg.

"I'm sorry, Bee, we can't. It would be safer if you were to attend the academy rather than staying here. Suspicions may raise threats, we can't have that," he explains with his usual authoritative voice.

You'll be fine. Everything's going to be okay. You need to trust your parents.

Axel puts a hand on my shoulder, gently patting it, trying to calm down my uncontrolled overthinking.

There's a moment of silence in dad's office until mom decides to break the ice, "Are you done packing?"

Biting my lip to stop the tears from flowing, I nod my head. You need to be strong.

I guess there's no way out of this. I tried my best to withstand my belief that things would get disastrous once the secret's out but their decision still remains.

"Your father and I have prepared your living arrangements. We tried to keep Axel as close to you as possible just in case anything happens. If Axel's unavailable, you also have Jasmine." Mom shoots me a reassuring smile, "We're doing this to protect you, sweetheart. It's for the best."

Trust them.

Sighing in defeat, I don't press any further, it's too late anyways. This isn't the first time I've tried to talk it over with my parents.

"Brylee," Dad calls. I shift my gaze at him and he hands me a tiny glass bottle of liquid, "Drink this when necessary. You only need to take one drop. There will be a few side effects but I'm sure you're capable of handling it." Before releasing his grip on the bottle, he gives me a straight face, "Don't let anyone know of it."

My face slightly scrunches as he mentions the word necessary. I've dealt with many situations in my life—some even life threatening—so I'm quite clueless as to when I'm supposed to intake this.

He notices my confusion, "It's when you feel like you're about to convulse."

"Ohhh," the 'O' stretches as I try to conjure up the words to say.

Dad eyes me intensely. He's in deep thought, almost in the same situation as me, trying to fish out the proper words to say so that I don't destruct myself with overthinking. "Sweetheart," he starts off, "always keep in mind that we love you, okay? Things have never been easy for you, but you're still our little fighter and you must always continue fighting. Never forget that the Goddess has given you life to seek your purpose."

Don't cry.

I say a silent "thank you" as I continue to digest what he had said.

"The both of you are dismissed. You're mother and I have gone through everything that you need to know and do. Strictly follow our instructions and Axel," Dad's tone goes deeper into a more authoritative tone, "always be there for your sister. Trust no one."

"Yes, father," he replies with the same seriousness.

Axel gently grabs my arm and walks us outside of my father's office.

Thought after thought still passes in my head. I'm a nervous wreck.

Axel notices my silence, "You have nothing to be worried about. I promise I'll always be there for you."