Chapter Two

[100% Edited as of 6/21/18]

The girl, in a mere squeak, greeted Brendon. "Hi..." The lady, which Brendon now knows as Ms. Ross, held the girl by her small wrist. Ms. Ross smiled falsely while sending glares in the corner of her eyes at the girl. "I'm Brooke," Brooke said slowly as if trying to remember something. "And I'm four!" She said excitingly while lifting four small fingers with that hand that Ms. Ross wasn't holding onto. Brendon gave a soft smile, all his anger being gone at the sight of her, he kneeled down in front of the girl. The girl gave a crooked grin and stuck out her hand for him to hold. 

"I'm Brendon," He replied. As his lips were smiling, he was jumping up and down inside. It was a pretty odd feeling for him. Hell, he'd only been told of his daughter less than two weeks ago. Brendon wished he had known about her sooner, but he tried not to think of that. Brendon, being only 5'9, still was taller than the girl, even after kneeling down. The girl was tiny compared to him. Brooke looked so much like Brendon. She was tan while her hair was the color of bark on a tree, dark brown. Her eyes were like a mirror of his own. Brown, with a hint of grey. She was like a smaller, girl version of Brendon.

Ms. Ross felt the need to cut in. "Sorry to interfere with your little moment. But you are serious about adopting Brooke," She spits out Brooke's name and acting like him adopting her was a joke, "You need to fill out paperwork for her." Brendon tried to remain calm the best he could - although he wanted to call her every name under the sun. But for Brooke's sake, he was just trying to adopt her and get her out of there as quickly as possible. Ms. Ross waited for a second to see if he was joking, but when he didn't say anything, she turned and dropped Brooke's wrist. 

The bitterness was clear in his voice. He rose off the ground. "Fine." Brooke stood there with her hand over her elbow, unsure of what to do. He stood while Brooke was standing next to him, she reached up and grabbed his hand. He tensed with shock, but then smiled down at the girl and tighten his grip on her hand. Her small hand was barely the size of his finger, but he held on to her tiny fingers. He awed quietly at her sudden affection. But then he wondered why she trusted him so easily. Does she know that he was her father? 

Brendon with Brooke in tow followed Ms. Ross into her office. Two chairs made of old leather, cracked and crumbling, were in front of a large desk. Brendon took the closest to the wall and Brooke struggled to get into her own. Ms. Ross took a seat at the desk, wrestled with her desk, and finally pulled out a piece of paper. Brooke sat with her hands folded, a scared glare in her eyes. Ms. Ross slammed her hand on the table with the paper and a pen. Brendon sat on the edge of his seat, and read over the paper she just handed him. 

'I hereby adopt Brooke Boyd Urie as of _____, she will be under my constant care, she will be provided with a home, food, and water. I will protect her the best that I can, and help her with schooling and help her be successful in life. I vow not to abuse her, neither physically nor mentally. I vow to protect her from harm's way the best that I can. Signed: _____'

Brendon wasn't sure any of this was legal. This place was unlike any foster home he had ever seen. He didn't even know that orphanages still existed. This entire contract felt half-assed to him, but he didn't say anything. Brendon signed his name, sliding back the paper to Ms. Ross. She rolled her eyes, probably thinking that he wouldn't go through with it. "Show him to your room, Brooke." She spits again.

Brooke nodded shyly, placing her feet on the ground. Brendon stood as well, ready to follow her. Ms. Ross watched the two of them walk out of the room with a squint in her eyes. Brendon didn't say anything to the wicked woman and he didn't feel the need to. Brooke went up the stairs and to the furthest room. She pushed open the door and held it open for Brendon. "This is your room... huh?" He tried to hide his disgust. 

"Yeah," That was all Brooke said in a small voice. She went over towards the bed and reached into a box. While she was doing that, Brendon looked around. The room was horrible, to put it bluntly. With peeling walls, to bed that just laid on the dirty floor. Newspapers covered the windows and made them immobile, clearly put there to stop sight from inside or out. He stepped closer and noticed a photo on the window seal. He picked it up with confusion, looking into it. The edges were ripped and torn while the photo was faded and, from what it looks like, it has been water damaged. The thing that stuck out to him was the fact that it was him. Does she know? 

Brendon wanted to clarify, "Who's this...?" There was no way it wasn't himself, but he wanted to make sure. 

Brooke turned and with a swift movement, pulled it out his hands with a tight grip. She held it to her chest, and away from the site of Brendon. His eyebrows raised in surprise, and he knelt down to her level. Shame spread across her face, as she whispered, "I'm sorry," She apologized about snapping. Brendon waited for her to continue, which she did. "I was told that my mommy gave me this photo when I came here. It's a picture of my daddy, I think." She said. Brendon's suspensions were confirmed. That was him in the photo. 

"Brooke," Brendon released a breath he didn't even know he was holding. His nerves were rattling as he looked down at her. He sighed and continued. "T- that man in the photo, that's me. Your mommy never told me about you. I'm your dad." He said quickly. Brendon placed his hand over his inflamed face. For some reason, he dropped his eyes and couldn't bear to look at her. What shocked Brendon the most was what happened next. While Brendon was looking down, Brooke walked up to him and wrapped her arms around him. It caught him off guard. He wrapped his long arms around her tightly.

A tear streamed down his face and he buried his face in her neck. Brooke pulled back and placed her small hand over his cheek and swiped her fingers over his cheek. "Don't cry, daddy," Brooke said. Brendon laughed and brushed his sleeve over his eyes. His arms were still around her as he didn't want to let go of her.

"They are happy tears, princess," Brendon whispered. Brooke giggled, as she poked Brendon on the cheek. Brendon's smile grew for the tenth time today. They finally broke their hug and decided it was time to leave. He picked up the small backpack that Brooke had packed for herself, found it surprisingly light, and walked out of the room with Brooke's hand in his. They didn't say anything else to anyone, because frankly, they didn't need to or care to. "Ready to go?" 

Brooke smiles, "Yeppie!" They didn't even stop to say anything to Mary, who watched them leave with a threatening glint in her eyes. The sun shined down on them as they walked out, but thankfully the car was pretty close. Brendon helped her into the car and strapped her into the car seat (although it took several tries to get it right). He got in the front and suddenly remembered something. The bear was in the passager seat, waiting for it to be cuddled. 

"Hey, Brooke you like bears?" He turned towards her, the car still off. She nodded cutely. Brendon took the bear off the seat and handed it the young girl. Brooke quickly took it from his hands and held it to her chest. It was a basic bear with brown eyes and light brown fur. 

It was clear she loved it. "Thank you!" She cheered. Brendon smiled and turned on the car, and pulled out of the parking lot. He drove, and Brooke was silent. When Brendon looked back, he saw that Brooke was clutching the bear with her eyes slowly dropping. The sun was setting slighting but the street was lit up with the Vegas Lights around along with the street lights. He wasn't far from his house, maybe six miles away. "Daddy?" Brooke asked through her sleep state. Her hair was in front of her face slightly and she yawned.

"Yes, princess?" Brendon asked softly, staring back at her through the rearview mirror. 

Her sleepy voice rung out again, "Promise you'll never leave me," Brendon felt his heart flutter. Whether it be from guilt or happiness, he didn't know. But he did know, that he'd never leave her again. He'd protect her, he promised himself.

"I promise," Brendon promised his daughter. He will never let her go, no matter how old she gets. She will always be his princess.