Chapter 24

A/N: okay a promise I won't do anymore cliffhangers.

When Levi opened his eyes he was not in the forest anymore, far from it in fact. He was lying in a hospital bed, the room around him clean and orderly. Everything was either white or a light shade of blue. It made him squint. He shifted in the bed, the hospital gown he realized he was wearing being scratchy and uncomfortable on his skin.

"Oh, you're awake." He heard a voice speak. He was expecting it to be Erwin but when he turned his head he was met with Petra's smiling face. He had to admit that he was a bit disappointed. But then he remembered what had happened. His head started to pound at the memory and he felt like he could instantly start crying.

"Where's Erwin?" He asked, not even bothering to answer Petra.

She cast her gaze to the floor and a sad smile appeared on her face. She looked back up at Levi and he could tell that she was tearing up.

"We don't know. When we arrived at the scene he was nowhere in sight." It didn't make any sense to Levi. How could Erwin just disappear? He had gotten shot and had died, that's what Levi remembered. Did Historia bury his body? Whatever had happened, Levi needed to know.

"I'm sorry Levi. We need to know what happened." Petra stated.

"How long have I been here?" Levi asked, ignoring Petra's comment.

"A couple days. When we found you you were unconscious. Doc said you had a major concussion and part of your skull was shattered. That, and you almost drowned in the rain water." Petra explained.

"What about Historia?"

"Arrested and she's going to trail in a few days, Ymir too."

A thought popped into Levi's mind that he hadn't thought of before. "Who was the girl we found in Historia's apartment?" He asked.

"Her name was Sasha Blouse. She was reported missing by her boyfriend Connie a couple days before we found her body." Petra said in a sad tone.

The room was silent as Levi thought over the information and Petra sat with her hands folded in her lap and her head down. She had gone to see Levi almost every day since he'd been found. She wanted to make sure that he was okay, even though she could sense that he wasn't.

"I know it's difficult but we need to know what happened Levi." Petra insisted.

Levi sighed. "I was taken into the forest somewhere in the trunk of a car and I was forced to watch Erwin die. He was shot and that's the last thing I remember." He didn't technically watch Erwin die. Petra's eyes were wide for a second before her expression turned sad again. "I'm sorry." She said. She didn't know what else to say.

"A blindfold was placed over my eyes. I only heard the gun go off, I didn't actually see him die." He explained. Petra nodded and got up from her seat.

"I'll come visit you tomorrow. I promise." She said. Levi knew why she was leaving. She didn't want him to see her cry. She had been that way ever since they'd first met. She always hid her emotions. Levi knew that she hated to show weakness or vulnerability around anyone.

As soon as he heard the click of the door closing he started to cry. They started out as silent tears but as they continued he started to sob. It hurt to cry because his head felt like it was going to snap in half but he put the pain aside and cried for the first time in a long time. The pain was intense not only in his head but in his heart. His heart felt broken and withered, as if it turned to dust within his chest. He felt the pain because of Erwin. Erwin was gone. Dead. Levi would probably never see his face again and that just made the pain worse. He cried until he didn't have anymore tears to shed and his eyes were dry and crusty. His breath was hitching in his throat every time he inhaled and he felt so broken. Like a piece of glass that hit the floor and was unfixable. He felt broken and shattered.

His days in the hospital were lonely and filled with that same kind of sadness and brokenness that he felt on his first day awake. There was not a single thing on the news that wasn't talking about the case. He was mentioned in every report and he even had a few reporters who tried to come in and ask him about the case. He seen all of Historia's trial on the news. She was charged with two counts of first degree murder. Found guilty for both. The thing that hurt Levi the most is that not a single news report mentioned Erwin. As if Erwin had left and the only person who remembered was Levi.

Petra visited him every day until a week later he was released from the hospital. He went back to work. Not many interesting things happened. Erwin was the only thing that added any excitement in his life and now he was gone, left alone in the world. He was alone again. First his mother had left then Isabel and Farlan and now Erwin was gone too. All the interesting people in his life just seemed to disappear and say goodbye without a second thought. Levi felt like he needed a break from life. Levi couldn't imagine a life without Erwin and now that Erwin was gone he was forced to live without him. The pain in his head disappeared but the pain in his heart was constant. He hadn't cried anymore than he had when he was in the hospital. He had spent all his tears at that one moment that he got alone. He wanted to cry more but no tears would show. Nothing. Not a single one.