Chapter 23

A/N: even more cliffhangers.

As Levi woke up he could hear voices. It was difficult to hear them over the pounding of his head which seemed to boom through his brain like the beat of a bass drum but they were there.

Light shined in through a small opening and he guessed that he was once again in the trunk of a vehicle. The car that he was in wasn't moving.

"You think he's woken up yet?" One of the voices said. He could still hear the sound of rain pounding against the ground along with the occasional flash of lightning and boom of thunder.

"I don't know. Why don't you check?" With those words the trunk of the car opened and grey light shined through the trunk. Levi squinted against the sudden flash of light and lifted his head up. When his eyes adjusted he was met with the blue eyes and blonde hair of Historia Reiss.

"So you are awake. Officer Rivaille, how have you been?" He wasn't sure if he was supposed to answer the question or not. But all thoughts left his mind when he thought of Erwin.

"Where's Erwin?" He asked. His voice sounded slow and raspy.

"Rivaille?" Another voice spoke he immediately recognized the voice to be Erwin's. To Erwin, the name Rivaille sounded foreign on his tongue. He'd gotten so used to calling Levi by his real name not by his code name. Levi didn't know where Erwin was but in his heart he hoped that Erwin was okay.

To Levi's surprise, Historia helped him out of the trunk. His hands were tied behind his back with he thought were zip ties, the plastic slightly cutting into his wrists and making them scratchy. He was relieved at the sight before him once his feet hit the ground. Erwin was standing a few feet away. Levi didn't recognize where he was. It was some kind of forest or park because they were surrounded by trees and shrubs. Levi doubted Historia would take them to a park so he guessed that she had driven them out of the city to the surrounding forest. But Historia wasn't alone. As he glanced around he noticed Ymir as well.

"Levi, are you okay?" Erwin asked, his brows drawn down and his tone worried.

"I'm fine." Levi replied. He felt Historia grab his arm and she started leading him towards Erwin. She walked past him and lead Levi to a tree behind Erwin. As he walked he could feel his clothing getting soaked along with his shoes, where mud was coating them and water was soaking through, making them disgusting and uncomfortable to walk in.

"No more nice guy." She said as she kicked one of Levi's legs, causing him to fall to his knees in the mud. Historia walked forward as well as Ymir. Ymir made her way over to Levi and Historia went back to the trunk of the car where Levi was only moments ago, reaching in and grabbing a pistol that Levi recognized as being the one Armin had mentioned she'd bought. She made her way to Erwin and brought him to his knees as well. Before Levi knew what was happening he felt fabric against his face and a cloth was being placed over his eyes, cutting out the world around him. It made his heart rate speed up along with his breathing. Anxiety started to gnaw at him and he felt as though he were being drowned not only by the rain but by the weight of the situation as well.

"How have you been Erwin? Or should I call you dad?" Historia asked.

"Whatever you prefer." Erwin replied. Levi heard a sound that he couldn't place and then he heard Historia speak again.

"Shut up." She snapped. Levi guessed that she'd hit Erwin with the gun. He just hoped she didn't do anything more.

"Do you know why you're here, dad?" She asked. Erwin must have shaken his head because Historia spoke again.

"Because I thought we needed to have a little talk. You know, the usual 'you were a shit dad and now you're going to die' kind of talk." Levi's heart rate was going a million miles an hour and he felt like he was going to have a heart attack. Erwin was about to get shot and there was nothing Levi could do but sit on his knees in the mud.

"It's true, you were a shit dad. You fucked my mom and then left. Gave me away, I mean, what kind of dad does that?" Historia said. Levi could faintly hear the sound of the gun being loaded.

"If I could've kept you then I would've." Erwin said. He was scared out of his fucking mind.

"Yeah, I bet." Historia said in a disbelieving tone. "You left me to be adopted by a stupid couple who wouldn't let me out of their sight for more than three seconds because they thought I was going to get myself into trouble. They said I was 'challenged'" Historia stated. "That's why I did it. So I could get away from them and find you. So I could kill you. And after I'm done putting a bullet through your skull, Ymir and I are going to head out of the country. Simple as that." Levi's head was pounding along with his heart. He felt like passing out again.

"So I suppose now is the time where I die?" Erwin asked dryly.

"I'm thinking that, yes, it is." Historia confirmed.

"Historia, don't do this, please." Despite himself, Levi found himself pleading for Erwin's life.

"Wow, so heroic. But I don't give a fuck." Historia spat. Levi could tell that she was pointing the gun at Erwin now.

"Please, you don't have to do this. It's not necessary, please." Levi continued. He could feel his throat growing tight and his eyes started to sting with tears that threatened to fall. For some reason Levi could faintly hear the sound of a car driving up to them, but it was quite a ways away from what he could tell.

"But it is, Rivaille. I'm past the point of forgiveness. I've lost all my patience." She stated. Before Levi could plead any more, Erwin's voice cut through.

"It's okay Levi. I find peace in the rain." Levi's eyes went wide behind the cloth and his mouth hung open in disbelief.

"No, no, no. No!! Erwin!" He yelled.

"ERWIN!!" He was looking for an answer and he could sense Historia seconds away from pulling the trigger.

"ERWIN!!!! NO!!" He screamed. Before his mind could comprehend any more of the situation a loud gun shot rang through the otherwise silent forest, cutting out the sound of the rain.

BANG.