Chapter 1

Levi had wanted to be a police officer ever since he was a kid. He was bullied in his youth, turning to the streets until the death of his mother made him turn his life around. He struggled in school but once he got to the police academy everything in his life just seemed to fall into place. Perfect harmony. The instruments of his heart keeping a perfect rhythm. He still struggled in the academic aspect but he managed to graduate at the top of his class. Luck was what he called it.

He had been patrolling the streets for 13 long and stressful years. He was 35 years old, living by himself in a small and quiet apartment complex. He didn't have a partner in the field, most people calling him the "lone wolf." He thought it was absolutely ridiculous but it did make him more intimidating, despite his height. He specialized in homicide cases, having solved over 60. He loved the feeling of suspense when he'd get a new lead or find the murderer. He sometimes found himself craving it. So it was delightful to feel that same kind of sick pleasure as he found a new case on his desk when he walked into work that morning.

He opened the file and flipped through, skimming over the case. A young girl by the name of Historia Reiss, age 19, found dead in her apartment. The last known person having talked to her was her girlfriend Ymir, who had found the body. Autopsy revealed that she died from a bullet to the chest. No sign of sexual assault or struggle. She died at around 3am yesterday....seemed simple enough.

No leads, no anything really. He had to talk to the girlfriend first since he decided that would be a good place to start. He called her and asked her to come to the station, which she did.

When he met her he was taken aback slightly by her appearance. Looking at Historia's photo and then at this girl he didn't expect it. This girl was more ragged and straight forward than he expected.

He brought her to a private room and sat her down, putting the case file in the middle of the table, however he took the pictures of Historia dead on the floor and put them elsewhere, out of sight.

"I'm Rivialle. I'd like to talk to you about Historia." Rivaille was his code name, nobody called him by his first name when he was on the job.

"Ymir. What do you want to know?"

Levi cleared his throat and began.

"Did she have any enemies? Past ex's, people who would want to hurt her, that kind of thing?"

"No. She was the nicest person I've ever met. Even if she didn't like you she was still friends with you. I can't think of anyone that would want to hurt her."

Levi nodded and thought it over. "Does she have any living relatives?"

Ymir sighed. "Her mom died giving birth and her father disappeared off the face of the earth. All I know about him is that he's 6'2 with blonde hair and blue eyes. And apparently he's a complete ass. At least that's what Historia told me. She said she met him but it didn't end well. His last name is Smith."

Levi wrote down what she said on a notepad. "Can you lead us to any places that might hold significance? Place of employment?"

Ymir seemed to be thinking something over in her mind. "Yeah, I'll write down the address for you." Levi gave her a piece of paper and she wrote down the address of the unknown place.

As Ymir was halfway out the door she stopped, holding onto the frame and speaking.

"When you get to the place, ask for Horse, they'll know what you want...and Rivaille?"

"Yes."

"Please solve this case. For her." Ymir left without another word.