Chapter 26

When Erwin woke up he had Levi wrapped in his arms, his chest pressed against Levi's back. Levi was still sleeping peacefully, his breathing even and steady. Erwin moved slowly and removed himself from Levi, getting out of the bed and making his way around the room to pick up his discarded clothing, putting each item on as he went. He peaked out of Levi's window and seen that the sun had gone down and that it was night. His actions replayed in his head and he couldn't help but feel a little bit guilty. He had taken advantage of Levi and his state of distress. He had taken advantage of Levi in his moment of weakness.

Levi's house was dark as all the lights had been off when he had arrived, the natural light coming in through the windows being the things that brought light into the apartment. Now it was only the light cast off the moon that brightened the house, casting shadows and an eerie sort of glow. The floorboards creaking under his feet only added to the eeriness he felt as he walked down Levi's hallway.

He had found himself in Levi's kitchen picking up his shirt and slipping it on. He put his jacket on as well and made his way back to Levi's bedroom where he could see Levi still laying motionless. He sat beside Levi, the mattress dipping under his weight. He had a kind of obsession with Levi's hair, pulling it out of his face or tugging on it. He pulled away Levi's bangs and kissed his forehead before he stood and made his way out of the room. He was halfway out of the doorframe when he heard a small and croaky voice speak through the silence of the night.

"Liar." It accused. He turned his head and looked at Levi who lay with his eyes still closed and a frown on his face.

"Pardon?" Erwin asked.

"You said you weren't going to leave."

Erwin looked ahead of himself and thought for a moment before he turned back to Levi. He was still frozen in the doorway. His mouth opened then closed then opened again, wanting to explain but not knowing how.

"I'm not leaving, Levi." He settled on.

"And how am I supposed to know that?" Levi asked. He had opened his eyes and shifted his head to get a better look at Erwin. His grey eyes reflected the moonlight beautifully, they almost had Erwin in a trance.

"I don't know." Erwin decided to answer honestly. He could easily understand Levi's uncertainty. He turned back into Levi's bedroom and made his way over to Levi. He sat on the edge of the bed beside Levi and looked at Levi's face. He had missed Levi so much in the time he was away and he would have come back a lot sooner if he had known that Levi felt the same way. He had thought that Levi would have moved on by now and that was the only reason for his visit. He had wanted to see if Levi still wanted him. He had planned on leaving if Levi didn't but now that he knew Levi still loved him he didn't have a plan.

"I want you to stay." Levi admitted. As soon as the words left his mouth he regretted saying them.

"I will....I will." Erwin said. He leaned down and pressed his forehead against Levi's, running a hand through the soft and short hairs of Levi's undercut. "I promise." He whispered. He kissed Levi gently and slowly before he wrapped Levi up in his arms and pulled him into his lap. Levi was still naked but his nudity didn't bother either of them. Levi wrapped his arms around Erwin's neck and they stayed that way for a while, in each other's arms.

"I will never leave you again. No matter what." Erwin stated. His voice soothed Levi throughout the night as they shared more intimate moments together in the bed, their lips, hips, and hands moving together in perfect harmony. Erwin made sure Levi understood that he wasn't going to break his promise. He made this known when he held Levi to the bed and kissed him senseless or when he slid into Levi and slowly made him fall apart on his cock. They both shared trust and love between each other and despite having spent three years away from each other, they felt like they had never been this close. By the end of the night they were both exhausted and they cuddled up to each other before Erwin pressed a kiss to Levi's sweaty forehead.

"I promise." He whispered again before they both fell back asleep.

Erwin kept his promise throughout the years to come. Levi had come to him one day with a paper in his hand and a smirk on his face. Erwin didn't understand why but he knew as soon as he picked up the paper and read the first few words.

Levi had mentioned briefly at one point that Erwin would make a great cop if he put his mind to it and reading the paper before him he knew Levi had been serious. In his hands he held a paper that read 'Maria Police Academy Registration.' Erwin didn't think Levi had been serious, he thought he was joking and teasing. But as he held the papers in his hands he felt more than shocked.

"You really think..?" He asked, his eyebrow arched and questioning.

Levi shrugged and sauntered up to him. "It's your choice." He stated. "You can continue with your worthless life..." He leaned in closer to Erwin's face and spared a glance at his lips. "Or you can become someone who matters." The words may have sounded hurtful but to Erwin they were more encouraging than anything else.

"I checked out your high school grades." Levi mentioned. "You qualify."

Erwin nodded his head thoughtfully. In his mind he thought: I think I just might. And he did.

Erwin was crazy enough to enlist in the police academy and a few months later he started training. He was the oldest one there, everyone else being fresh out of high school. He may have been the oldest but he was also the smartest. All the experience he'd gained from living on the streets for all those years helped him in the long run.

And now, after his years of police training had finished, he was with Levi patrolling the streets for the first time. It was an odd feeling yet it made both of them extremely happy. Erwin had become Levi's partner in more ways than one.

Suddenly, a car zoomed past them and they both stared at each other before Levi turned his attention back on the road and drove after the car. "You remember when we got into that car chase with Nile's goons?" Erwin asked.

"Yeah, and you got fucking shot." They laughed over the old memory that they shared years ago.

Levi realized that he had not only gained a partner in law, but he had gained a partner in love.