A Walk in the Park

After breakfast, Steve and I got dressed. I put on a pair of ripped skinny jeans, a red plaid flannel over a black tank top and a leather jacket, my combat boots on my feet. Steve wore a pair of dark jeans, a blue plaid flannel over a white t-shirt, a leather jacket and some sturdy boots. Yay! We were matching in a super cute way!

We took the elevator down to the ground, ready to take a walk. The sky was dark, grey rain clouds gathering. The air smelled of a fresh rain storm brewing. I was giddy.

We walked past several shops, restaurants, and bars. Steve's eyes lit up as we approached another restaurant. He obviously recognized it. I smiled and pulled him inside. We stood in line and ordered; a burger with bacon for me and a classic American burger for Steve. We sat at a table with our food and enjoyed the meal.

I popped a fry into my mouth. "Wanna walk through Central Park? I've never been there, but it looks beautiful in the pictures I've seen."

Steve nodded, his mouth full. I laughed as he tried no to let it fall out, his bite bigger than he could chew. He really loved the burger.

When we were done, we walked toward Central Park. A block away from the park, thunder boomed above and rain drops began to fall, slowly at first, then more quickly.

I screamed in delight as the rain fell on my face. I looked up and held my hands out, enjoying the feeling of the liquid running down my skin. Twirling around, I began to dance in the rain, thunder booming above. I loved the rain. 

Steve laughed, pulled me to him and covered both of us with his jacket. We ran down the street and ducked into the first building we could.

Once inside, we pulled our jackets down, laughing at the sight of us. Steve and I were soaked, water dripping onto the floor, quickly creating a puddle around us. 

"Oh, dear."

We turned to the voice. A little old woman stood behind the counter of the shop. 

I looked around and realized it was a pet shop. Puppies, kittens, mice, birds, snakes and other animals filled the shop, waiting to be adopted.

The woman hurried toward us. Her grey hair was in a messy bun and she wore a green apron over a simple dress. She was a cute little old lady. Looked like she could handle herself, too.

"You poor things must be freezing." She lifted the fabric of my flannel, the cloth making a sucking sound as it peeled from my skin. "Oh, it's worse than I thought. You dears are soaked to the bone! Come with me."

The woman grabbed our hands and led us upstairs to her home, just above the store. She dragged us to a room and hurried out.

"I'm afraid I don't have anything that will fit you, darling, but your boyfriend here is about the same size as my husband was. He just didn't have quite as many muscles. Now dry up." The woman smiled and handed each of us a towel.

"Uh, he's not my...I'm not...We..." I became flustered, trying to correct the woman. I wasn't quite sure what Steve and I were yet.

"Oh, don't be so modest! You two are such an adorable couple." The woman smiled.

I tried to argue again, but Steve put his hand on my shoulder, stopping me. I looked up at him and he shook his head. He was right. She could assume whatever she wanted. Besides, I didn't mind being Steve's girlfriend in her eyes.

The woman laid out neatly folded clothes; khakis and a flannel for Steve, and a simple, blue, long sleeve, modest dress for me. "Turns out, I do have something that might fit you. Sorry. I don't really own pants, just dresses. This one is from when I was your age, so it should fit you just fine." The woman turned to leave.