This Is What We Do

I followed Jessica down the halls. I paid attention only to the direction in which she was walking. My head was still distraught. I know I was only going out with him for like 9 hours but he risked himself for Carol and me. He got himself killed for us. He didn't deserve to be killed. He was only protecting us. I felt a tear roll down my cheek. And I walked right into Jessica.

"Hey, are you okay?" she asked, putting her hands and my shoulders and lightly squeezed my shoulder.

"Yea... Yeah. I'm okay."

"I'm not blonde." Jessica looked at her hair and continued, "Well I'm not a typical blonde."

I let out a weak laugh before saying, "I'd rather not talk about it."

"Okay. Well I'm here, if you need to talk."

"Thanks." Jessica smiled at me and then continued showing me to the cafe.

"Here we are." She announced. She opened the door and inside was a brightly lit room with small brown tables surrounded by comfy red chairs. At the opposite end of the room was a counter with a till and a glass container with buns and dounuts, behing the counter was a coffee and tea dispenser and a fridge with a clear door, it had bottled water and fizzy drinks in it. Jessica led me to a table with 4 people sitting at it.

"Hey guys, this is Victoria." Jessica introduced me to them.

"Hi, I'm Amy Rose Campbell, but you can call me Amy." A girl, with shoulder length, curly, brown hair wearing a green dress with black flats, stated, taking my hand and shaking it.

"I'm Jason." A tanner man, with messy black hair and a white T-shirt with dark skinny jeans and a pair of silver trainers, nodded to me. "And that's Dean, my younger brother." He pointed to another guy, with the same skin tone but with a red jumper instead of a white T-shirt and a pair of dark brown chinos, ew, who waved at me.

"I'm Craig. Jessica's oldest brother." A guy with the same blonde hair, only short, and blue eyes as Jessica introduce himself. He was wearing a brown T-shirt and camoflauge trousers, with a belt and gun holster. "I'm a soldier."

"I thought as much." I replied, giving him a weak smile.

"Sit with us." Amy invited, "You're very welcome to. The boys won't mind." I took one of the 2 remaining seats and Jessica asked me,

"Do you want anything?"

"Just some water, please." Jessica looked at the mugs on the table and seen they were all full.

"Water and 1 coffee." Jessica mumbled before walking over to the till.

"So, what's your story?" Craig asked.

"My sister, Carol, and I. We're the last survivors from the safety zone we came from. It got over run and with a few others we escaped. Then we got to city hall, it had been overrun to but there were still some survivors and we saved them before heading to my family's farm. We stayed for one night, when one of the survivors from City hall became a zombie, then the other survivors ordered a check to see if anyone else was infected. Turned out Carol was infected. We had to escape. Then we came across some of the soldiers and scientists, who took us back to the house to check for the survivors but they attacked us and the soldiers killed them. Then this big Skeletal like thing attacked us but we stopped it and now we're here."

"Wait your sisters infected?" Amy asked,

"Well, we're immune. Carol and I that is."

"Woah." Jason exclaimed. "You're lucky to have such a strand of immunisation in your D.N.A."

"I know but something tells me, we're going to be tested on."

"That's right." A voice from behind me announced. "You and your sister are coming with me." I turned around and a woman in a lab coat and hair pulled up into bun was standing looking at me. She clicked her fingers and a soldier pulled me out of my seat and started pushing me out of the room. When he pushed me out of the room, I seen Carol and another soldier approach us. We were then escorted to the lifts.

The lifts took us even lower down, into the science department. When the lift stopped, the soldiers pushed us down the halls. We passed rooms with dogs, other people, cats, zombies and pests (rats and pigeons). "What the hell is all this?" I asked, worried and scared for Carol.

"This is what we do." The woman replied. "We're testing this infection. Trying to make a cure and super soldiers, as well as harness it so as it can be used as a weapon in wars to come. And you my dears are the Lab Rats."

"You can't do this." I said, my voice raising. "This is inhumane."

"This is what has to be done." The woman nodded and Carol and I were thrown into seperate rooms.

"Carol!" I screamed through the window. I could see nothing but fear in her eyes, tears were rolling down her cheeks.

"This is what we do." The woman repeated.